Fix the SP, and you have a Playoff team

21xxxv

The thesis of the thread title isn't exactly news. Sure, fix the starting pitching and you have a playoff team. That statement does nothing constructive to tell us how the heck to fix it. I am sure Dan Duquette is working very hard to try to figure out how he can get a meaningful upgrade at a cost (in terms of players traded back) that we can afford. But it's going to be really tough, because we certainly won't be the only team looking for starting pitchers. My fear is that we will overpay for mediocrity that really isn't much of an upgrade at all.

This thread has been merged a few times, its now the general purpose 'Upgrade the Rotation Ideas' thread.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is OPS'ing 1.098 vs LHP this year (.945 career) so we could make use of him. It would be a brutal contract to take on, but he isn't a useless player.

Pomeranz and Kemp for:

Mancini

Harvey

+2 B prospects?

Is that enough even if we take ALL of Kemp's contract? That depends on how San Diego values talent vs. money I guess.

The whole point of taking Kemp and his awful contract is so you can get Pomeranz for less than you would by himself. No way I'm making that deal for anything more than maybe one of Walker/Mancini and one of two other B prospects. They still need to see what they have in Harvey. I suppose SD could hold out for more, but I doubt it with that salary dump.

The whole point of taking Kemp and his awful contract is so you can get Pomeranz for less than you would by himself. No way I'm making that deal for anything more than maybe one of Walker/Mancini and one of two other B prospects. They still need to see what they have in Harvey. I suppose SD could hold out for more, but I doubt it with that salary dump.

I'm aware about the Kemp contract situation and I think they still want Harvy/Mancini plus more.

I'm not saying Pomeranz is worth that deal. But I think, given market conditions, they will get an even better deal from somebody else.

Hope I'm wrong, Pomeranz would be a great addition now and for the next 2 years.

I'm aware about the Kemp contract situation and I think they still want Harvy/Mancini plus more.

I'm not saying Pomeranz is worth that deal. But I think, given market conditions, they will get an even better deal from somebody else.

Hope I'm wrong, Pomeranz would be a great addition now and for the next 2 years.

You might be right, but I can't see any team giving up very much in value if they take on Kemp and the 64.5M owed to him from '17-'19, plus the prorated amount for the remainder of this year.

What will the Padres prefer: Eating half of Kemp's contract but getting back 2 blue chips or dumping all his contract but getting back Mancini/Harvey?

That's up to them.

What I do know, plenty of teams have far better prospects to offer them.

You might be right, but I can't see any team giving up very much in value if they take on Kemp and the 64.5M owed to him from '17-'19, plus the prorated amount for the remainder of this year.

In the Shields trade the Padres are paying roughly half of the remaining owed. What if the Padres paid half of what remains on the Kemp contract? Also, the 2 prospects the Sox gave up were not great.

What will the Padres prefer: Eating half of Kemp's contract but getting back 2 blue chips or dumping all his contract but getting back Mancini/Harvey?

That's up to them.

What I do know, plenty of teams have far better prospects to offer them.

What I also do know is that I am not a Kemp fan.

Didn't we have Pomeranz at one point or am I thinking of another guy?
No' date=' but he was involved in the Indians and Rockies trade of Ubaldo.[/quote']
You are thinking of his brother, Stu Pomeranz. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pomerst01.shtml

Oh, that makes sense. Always amazes how some families have multiple people who can make it to the elite level in sports.

In the Shields trade the Padres are paying roughly half of the remaining owed. What if the Padres paid half of what remains on the Kemp contract? Also, the 2 prospects the Sox gave up were not great.

I would disagree with on the prospects in the deal. I'm pretty sure Tatis is a decent prospect, but a few years away. I don't think Chicago overpaid but they did give up a potential decent player to acquire a pitcher that the ownership, and his poor performance were running out of town.

He is OPS'ing 1.098 vs LHP this year (.945 career) so we could make use of him. It would be a brutal contract to take on, but he isn't a useless player.

Pomeranz and Kemp for:

Mancini

Harvey

+2 B prospects?

Is that enough even if we take ALL of Kemp's contract? That depends on how San Diego values talent vs. money I guess.

I didn't mean to imply that Kemp wasn't good. I think a trade like that could work if there were some other moving parts. Something where we moved Trumbo to the Mets perhaps.

I would disagree with on the prospects in the deal. I'm pretty sure Tatis is a decent prospect, but a few years away. I don't think Chicago overpaid but they did give up a potential decent player to acquire a pitcher that the ownership, and his poor performance were running out of town.

Neither prospect sent to the Padres was listed in their top 20 as of this spring.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/3/10/11187410/chicago-white-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2016

Honestly I doubt the Orioles have enough prospects to get him. He isn't a free agent until 2019. He does hit arbitration next year so he does start to get expensive but not prohibitively so.

If there is a bidding war for him I think the Orioles could offer the entire farm system and still get outbid. We don't have the blue chipper (think Jones or Tillman we got back for Bedard) to put in the deal.

Mabye if we take on a bad contract like Kemp it could happen. Or even the $1.6 + $400k buyout on...*gasp*...FERNANDO RODNEY is a Padre?

I missed something on Pomeranze. He has never thrown 100 IP in a season. This could drastically reduce his price tag.

Archived