Anyone else excited about what Schoop has done?

Oriolesfan4life

I think he would have a hard time making the all-star team with so many great second basemen in the American League.

Altuve

Kinsler

Cano

Pedoria

Odor

to name a few. But the is having a great season and hopefully many more.

I think he falls just short, but depending on injury could be a replacement candidate. I think Altuve, Cano, and Kinsler are definitely ahead of him, but I'm not sure about Pedroia or Odor. Pedroia and Schoop are very close, so Pedroia probably gets the nod due to name recognition and his career prior to this year, but I think Schoop has a strong case ahead of Odor...not that the position will be 5 deep in the AL anyway...or even 4 for that matter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he falls just short, but depending on injury could be a replacement candidate. I think Altuve, Cano, and Kinsler are definitely ahead of him, but I'm not sure about Pedroia or Odor. Pedroia and Schoop are very close, so Pedroia probably gets the nod due to name recognition and his career prior to this year, but I think Schoop has a strong case ahead of Odor...not that the position will be 5 deep in the AL anyway...or even 4 for that matter.

Also Brian Dozier could be the Twins representative.

I think he would have a hard time making the all-star team with so many great second basemen in the American League.

Altuve

Kinsler

Cano

Pedoria

Odor

to name a few. But the is having a great season and hopefully many more.

In the short run, that's a long list. But Kinsler is 34, and Cano and Pedroia are 33. In a couple of years, Schoop will be in his prime and those guys will be slowing down considerably. Altuve and Odor are long-term competition but I could certainly see Schoop having a few all-star appearances in his future.

Coming into this season, I was not sure what to expect from Schoop after an injury plagued 2015.

But how can you not love what we are seeing? He's on pace for career highs in just about every major category. While I don't necessarily think the .292 average will stay that high, the power is definitely for real. Buck has put him just about everywhere in the lineup and he just continues to rake.

Defensively, is there a 2nd basemen that turns a double play better than him.

Thoughts

I am completely excited. I love this guy. :clap:

In the short run, that's a long list. But Kinsler is 34, and Cano and Pedroia are 33. In a couple of years, Schoop will be in his prime and those guys will be slowing down considerably. Altuve and Odor are long-term competition but I could certainly see Schoop having a few all-star appearances in his future.

Then Yoan Moncada will be up and who knows who else.

Yes I'm excited about Schoop. His batting avg just keeps climbing. And its not just the double plays, he is playing gold glove second base. His range is from center field to behind Davis at first.

His range has been below average every year except 2014.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11265&position=2B

Schoop is probably my favorite player but let's not pretend that he's an elite defensive 2B.

You and me both.Check my previous posts comparing him to Cano.This year, Cano has 19 HR to Schoop's 16 and is hitting .299 to Schoops .291, so a better year by a thin margin, but Schoop is 24 and Cano is 34...who would YOU rather have LONG TERM?

Especially with Schoop making $522,500 and Cano making (gulp) $24,000,000 per year. Yes, that means Cano makes nearly 46 times... what Schoop makes.

Just browsing this thread and it makes me wonder if he's becoming our modern day version of Bobby Grich? Part of an incredible DP combo (Belanger and Grich) and a 2B with power for our times ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean a Hall of Famer. Like Grich and his twin Derek Jeter?

Archived