Roster moves today - thinking Despaigne and Wilson

HelenaEngineer

Pearce is a better COF than Reimold and a better RH bat. Why couldn't he stand in CF with a glove just as well as Reimold. Is the difference worth optioning a guy who plays all 4 IF positions well, COF and is the third C?

Considering they have all the positions accounted for? Yes.

This team's starting pitching is very poor in terms of length (and just poor in general), so essentially we're constantly lucky if they go 5 IP if they're not named Gausman or Tillman (maybe Bundy, too...but he has an IP limit).

To that end this team has to worry about piggybacking: Bundy, Gallardo AND Miley otherwise the bullpen will get further blown out.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering they have all the positions accounted for? Yes.

This team's starting pitching is very poor in terms of length (and just poor in general), so essentially we're constantly lucky if they go 5 IP if they're not named Gausman or Tillman (maybe Bundy, too...but he has an IP limit).

To that end this team has to worry about piggybacking: Bundy, Gallardo AND Miley otherwise the bullpen will get further blown out.

I agree we need as many long men to piggy back as possible. What does that have to do with Reimold v Flash?

We need Flaherty for infield, so my prediction would be Reimold.

Why do we need Flaherty for the infield.

Pearce has played 1st, 2nd and third this year. Alvarez and Davis can also play third. If Hardy needs a night off, we could shift Manny over to SS (if Hardy got hurt, we could call Flaherty back up).

I'm not sure we need Reimold either, but since Flaherty has options, he seems to be the logical guy to go over Reimold.

Why do we need Flaherty for the infield.

Pearce has played 1st, 2nd and third this year. Alvarez and Davis can also play third. If Hardy needs a night off, we could shift Manny over to SS (if Hardy got hurt, we could call Flaherty back up).

I'm not sure we need Reimold either, but since Flaherty has options, he seems to be the logical guy to go over Reimold.

Good point. Reimold would also allow us to stack the lineup against LHP, while Flaherty does not really help us against RHP since we have Alvarez.

LHP: Wieters, Davis 1B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Machado 3B, Jones CF, Reimold LF, Pearce RF, Trumbo DH (BN: Joseph, Kim, Alvarez)

RHP: Wieters, Davis 1B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Machado 3B, Jones CF, Kim LF, Trumbo RF, Alvarez DH (BN: Joseph, Reimold, Pearce)

OK, I am convinced it should be Flaherty and Despaigne.

Pearce is a better COF than Reimold and a better RH bat. Why couldn't he stand in CF with a glove just as well as Reimold. Is the difference worth optioning a guy who plays all 4 IF positions well, COF and is the third C?

Exactly, if Jones gets hurt during a game then by the first pitch next game you can call up a Center Fielder.

Good point. Reimold would also allow us to stack the lineup against LHP, while Flaherty does not really help us against RHP since we have Alvarez.

LHP: Wieters, Davis 1B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Machado 3B, Jones CF, Reimold LF, Pearce RF, Trumbo DH (BN: Joseph, Kim, Alvarez)

RHP: Wieters, Davis 1B, Schoop 2B, Hardy SS, Machado 3B, Jones CF, Kim LF, Trumbo RF, Alvarez DH (BN: Joseph, Reimold, Pearce)

OK, I am convinced it should be Flaherty and Despaigne.

Anytime you mention Alvarez" in the field you have just answered your own question :)

Anytime you mention Alvarez" in the field you have just answered your own question :)

I'm not putting Alvarez in the field. I am saying Alvarez is our DH against RHP, so there is really no role for Flaherty. In an emergency, I would shift Schoop to 3rd, Pearce to 2nd, Manny to SS. There is really no scenario that we actually need Flaherty, and his lack of playing time even with a 3-man bench reflects that.

If we keep Flaherty over Reimold, then we are going to have to start Kim or Alvarez against LHP. Buck has shown he does not want to do that.

Archived