Roster moves today - thinking Despaigne and Wilson

HelenaEngineer

I think Reimold is safe and needed to back up Jones with Rickard out, so we add one to the bench and drop a pitcher. Hopefully, Miley will ease the strain on the long relievers. Despaigne has simply not been effective enough, and his high walk totals to go along with more hits than innings pitched are a problem. The reason I would send Wilson down is completely different. There is a good chance the Orioles will need Wilson or Wright to make some key starts in late August or September. If Bundy hits an innings limit or struggles or Gallardo continues to pitch as badly as he has recently, then something will have to be done. Wilson would be better positioned to fill that role if he goes down and has 3-4 solid starts. He has been better than Wright this year and is the most likely candidate to take those starts if they are needed, which is a distinct possibility.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Reimold is safe and needed to back up Jones with Rickard out, so we add one to the bench and drop a pitcher. Hopefully, Miley will ease the strain on the long relievers. Despaigne has simply not been effective enough, and his high walk totals to go along with more hits than innings pitched are a problem. The reason I would send Wilson down is completely different. There is a good chance the Orioles will need Wilson or Wright to make some key starts in late August or September. If Bundy hits an innings limit or struggles or Gallardo continues to pitch as badly as he has recently, then something will have to be done. Wilson would be better positioned to fill that role if he goes down and has 3-4 solid starts. He has been better than Wright this year and is the most likely candidate to take those starts if they are needed, which is a distinct possibility.

Nolan (Showalter) Reimold won't go anywhere. The "T-Shirt" quotes Buck as saying, "I like our guys," and apparently he truly does. And by the way, centerfield is the easiest to play and Flaherty would be fine there. It is not like Reimold is really that fast. If that is an issue than DFA Reimold and bring Borbon back up.

The obvious answer should be Wilson and Despaigne. They wouldn't be able to be called up until August 13th. You have Bundy pitching tonight. You could need a long reliever tonight.

Worley could be the long guy but then that weakens his role in some high leverage middle inning opportunities.

It would be quite depressing with our offense if we had to bring Ubaldo into a 5-2 game we're losing in the 5th because a starter got knocked out.

The gamble would be Flaherty. But that means no days off for Hardy until August 13th at the least. Maybe you can roll the dice and add Janish for a pen arm for a day before that day to make a 1 day spot start than be DFA'd.

My guess is that we'd rather risk not having a util IF for a game than risk having to use our "A" guys in the pen too much. I'm predicting Flaherty and Despaigne go. Tyler Wilson stays.

The obvious answer should be Wilson and Despaigne. They wouldn't be able to be called up until August 13th. You have Bundy pitching tonight. You could need a long reliever tonight.

Worley could be the long guy but then that weakens his role in some high leverage middle inning opportunities.

It would be quite depressing with our offense if we had to bring Ubaldo into a 5-2 game we're losing in the 5th because a starter got knocked out.

The gamble would be Flaherty. But that means no days off for Hardy until August 13th at the least. Maybe you can roll the dice and add Janish for a pen arm for a day before that day to make a 1 day spot start than be DFA'd.

My guess is that we'd rather risk not having a util IF for a game than risk having to use our "A" guys in the pen too much. I'm predicting Flaherty and Despaigne go. Tyler Wilson stays.

Flaherty won't be optioned. Most likely Wilson and Despaigne.

I see little chance it will be Flaherty. IMO

Didn't Roch quote DD to the effect that "Pearce's versatility might help us go with 13 pitchers"?

I think we press on with a short bench, and that means either Reimold or Flaherty has to go. We need Flaherty for infield, so my prediction would be Reimold.

As for Despiagne/Wilson, I think we have seen more of Despaigne lately and he hasn't done much. I would like to see Wilson get some more opportunities in the long relief role. It is also possible that we keep both and option Ondrusek, who supposedly can still be optioned.

I am going with Despaigne optioned and Reimold DFA.

I am going with Despaigne and Flaherty. I think Despaigne is for sure then the second spot is Flaherty, Riemold, and Wilson. I think the lack of long starting pitching and Ubaldo makes us have to go with a 8 man pen. That leaves Riemold and Flaherty. Hamels is starting tomorrow so I think a lefty another right hander is important.

If you keep the long pen and option Flaherty, maybe you prep Wilson to start by making him Gallardo's designated piggy back. He seems to need one just as much as Bundy for different reasons. Worley backs up Bundy starts and Wilson for Gallardo. The rest of the bullpen does their normal thing. That gets Wilson on a starters schedule in case you need him just the way Bundy was used from the pen before moving into the rotation.

Archived