BA's Updated Draft Tracker

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-dish/2008/266044.html

They still have Pedro Alvarez listed at #1. I really think we have a chance of Alvarez falling to us at #4.

Several other players have jumped in BA's latest rankings (Posey to #4, Tanner Scheppers to #8 and Shooter Hunt at #9). Interesting to see Gordon Beckham still at #10 after all of the recent buzz on him.

Justin Smoak has also bounced back up the charts with his torrid hitting. Interesting note on Smoak that some may not know - he was high school teammates with Matt Wieters. I wonder if Wieters is pushing hard behind the scenes for the Orioles to draft his former teammate. ;)

At this point, I would be happy to see the Orioles get Alvarez, Tim Beckham or Justin Smoak (in that order) with the #4 overall pick. I wouldn't be disappointed if we get Brian Matusz, Eric Hosmer or Gordon Beckham.

Anyone else would be a disappointment.

At this point, I would be happy to see the Orioles get Alvarez, Tim Beckham or Justin Smoak (in that order) with the #4 overall pick. I wouldn't be disappointed if we get Brian Matusz, Eric Hosmer or Gordon Beckham.

I'd add Posey to your list, then I agree with you. I think it's pretty safe to say BAL will be ending up with one of those players. If not, there'd be something real screwy going on...

I'd also like to pat myself on the back for sticking with Matusz through the whole season as my #1 SP. I think what we are seeing is what scouts were worried about, with regards to Crow -- that is, his ability to hold his dominance over the course of a long season. Now, of course, that doesn't mean he won't develop into an elite pitcher. He just isn't as far along yet as Matusz.

Think there is ANY chance the O's pick a pitcher or are we locked into getting another stud bat in the system?

I think there is a very good chance we take Brian Matusz, the LHP from University of San Diego. While I would prefer a college bat (Alvarez), JJ may think Matusz is just too good to pass up.

I'm hoping either the Royals or Pirates take Matusz with the #2 or #3 pick because I don't think we'll take Aaron Crow, the RHP from Missouri.

If I had to guess what Joe Jordan's top four choices were, I would say:

1 - Pedro Alvarez

2 - Tim Beckham

3 - Brian Matusz

4 - Justin Smoak

I can easily see Eric Hosmer or Gordan Beckham sneaking into the #4 spot over Justin Smoak.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-dish/2008/266044.html

They still have Pedro Alvarez listed at #1. I really think we have a chance of Alvarez falling to us at #4.

Several other players have jumped in BA's latest rankings (Posey to #4, Tanner Scheppers to #8 and Shooter Hunt at #9). Interesting to see Gordon Beckham still at #10 after all of the recent buzz on him.

Justin Smoak has also bounced back up the charts with his torrid hitting. Interesting note on Smoak that some may not know - he was high school teammates with Matt Wieters. I wonder if Wieters is pushing hard behind the scenes for the Orioles to draft his former teammate. ;)

I just saw their list and was nearly blown away by the similarities to my top players list. It was almost player for player a good bit through. :)

Baseball America, for me, is the king of amateur player sites, and I depend a good deal on the scouting reports they provide. They are the best at what they do, and I'm thankful that they are so well informed.

I think there is a very good chance we take Brian Matusz, the LHP from University of San Diego. While I would prefer a college bat (Alvarez), JJ may think Matusz is just too good to pass up.

I'm hoping either the Royals or Pirates take Matusz with the #2 or #3 pick because I don't think we'll take Aaron Crow, the RHP from Missouri.

If I had to guess what Joe Jordan's top four choices were, I would say:

1 - Pedro Alvarez

2 - Tim Beckham

3 - Brian Matusz

4 - Justin Smoak

I can easily see Eric Hosmer or Gordan Beckham sneaking into the #4 spot over Justin Smoak.

Good post as always. I think I'll start a new predictions thread now.

I just saw their list and was nearly blown away by the similarities to my top players list. It was almost player for player a good bit through. :)

Baseball America, for me, is the king of amateur player sites, and I depend a good deal on the scouting reports they provide. They are the best at what they do, and I'm thankful that they are so well informed.

Greg, great job with your site and putting together your list.

In the following the amateur baseball draft for quite some time now I am not surprised to see similar mock drafts by various people. Each top 20 to 30 list will/should have the same names with players shifting slightly based on individual preferences.

The real differences will be on the day of the draft. Each year players sneak into the first round that have most pundits left scratching their heads.

This year will be no different. The baseball draft seems to be a much less exact science than the other professional sport drafts. That's probably why I'm so intrigued by it. Sort of like golf for me. :laughlol:

Greg, great job with your site and putting together your list.

In the following the amateur baseball draft for quite some time now I am not surprised to see similar mock drafts by various people. Each top 20 to 30 list will/should have the same names with players shifting slightly based on individual preferences.

The real differences will be on the day of the draft. Each year players sneak into the first round that have most pundits left scratching their heads.

This year will be no different. The baseball draft seems to be a much less exact science than the other professional sport drafts. That's probably why I'm so intrigued by it. Sort of like golf for me. :laughlol:

Thanks bro. We agree... the draft is such a cool and intriguing event. The day of the draft last year, BA was off base in their guesses as usual... it's like that for everyone though. I'm more excited about this draft season than last mainly becauise of my attempt to get involved via my site. It's a very cool thing to be involved in, to monitor, and to follow along as the careers of the young men we spend so much time analyzing go forward. I love it as much as you obviously do. :)

After looking at BA's draft tracker, I would be more than happy with selecting anyone in BA's top eight other than Crow, and I'd personally be a little disappointed with Matusz, but as I said in a previous thread, more b/c of our organizational needs rather than his abilities and potential.

Archived