David Ortiz

sevastras

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ortiz has it made in the shade. He knows that MLB would NEVER break up the "Papi Farewell Tour" and embarrass themselves in the sport like that, so he knows he has free reign to use whatever he wants this year.

He also knows they probably won't let him get away with it twice, so will be retiring after hitting a 100 POINTS over his career OPS at age 40. Totally normal!

I can't WAIT til the season is over, and the stat/probability nerds start crunching the numbers and show how a you would have a better chance of hitting the powerball than putting up that season at 40.

But everyone loves "Papi" so yes he does get a pass would be pretty bad PR to have him busted right now, MLB doesn't want that!

I don't like Ortiz, but this is stupid. He's a great hitter, and I'm glad he's retiring. He's overrated by many, but still a great hitter.

That's said, it's absurd how he's given a free pass and Bonds is a pariah.

Ortiz has been a great hitter. He has a career value in the mid 50s, which is normally a HOF gray area, but I have a feeling he'll waltz in on the first ballot. He's played 82 postseason games with a performance on par with his regular season despite facing much better pitching. He has almost as many homers as Raffy, so that normally gets you into the Hall by itself.

But I find it interesting that he's leading the league in doubles, OPS, and slugging at 40 after having not led the league in much of anything in almost a decade. His performance at 40 is more-or-less unprecedented in history. He's having the best offensive season for a 40-year-old in 140+ years of MLB history. The only real comp is Barry Bonds.

Ortiz has been a great hitter. He has a career value in the mid 50s, which is normally a HOF gray area, but I have a feeling he'll waltz in on the first ballot. He's played 82 postseason games with a performance on par with his regular season despite facing much better pitching. He has almost as many homers as Raffy, so that normally gets you into the Hall by itself.

But I find it interesting that he's leading the league in doubles, OPS, and slugging at 40 after having not led the league in much of anything in almost a decade. His performance at 40 is more-or-less unprecedented in history. He's having the best offensive season for a 40-year-old in 140+ years of MLB history. The only real comp is Barry Bonds.

Yes, the late 30s, early 40s power performance spike is an obvious tell-tale sign. Everyone turned a blind eye when it was happening in the late 90s and early 2000s - and certainly many are turning a blind eye to it with Ortiz now. I have very strong suspicions what's causing Oritz' nearly unprecedented late-career surge - and I'd have those same suspicions if he was an Oriole, a Pirate, or whatever. I hate the Red Sox like any good orange blooded Oriole fan - but my bias doesn't prevent me from making a pretty informed decision as to what's going on.

I am reminded of Marcellus Wallace's speech to Butch in Pulp Fiction - here cleaned up for a family website:

"You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic (guys). (Guys) who thought their (buttocks) would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't."

Ortiz has found a way to age his (buttocks) into fine wine - and I'm not sure he's doing it with sunny disposition alone.

Bonds never was suspended for a drug test. None of the Bio Genesis guys were suspended for drug tests. The only guys that tested positive were they guys up in Toronto using the East German meds.

I don't like Ortiz, but this is stupid. He's a great hitter, and I'm glad he's retiring. He's overrated by many, but still a great hitter.

That's said, it's absurd how he's given a free pass and Bonds is a pariah.

Nice post...this thread is a laugher! The guy can hit a baseball and he's a .300 plus hitter with lots of homeruns, not a .230 hitter with lots of home runs.

I don't care who used whatever when baseball didn't care. I do agree Bonds should be a hall of famer

If I were the Red Sox I would be lobbying him for 1 more due to his success.

As a medical student, who has adhd and a former varsity high school baseball player I feel obliged to comment on this thread. Adderall doesn't really help you much in baseball. If anything, it is deleterious, and breaks down muscle mass. I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot to mention that it improves focus, and energy levels n stressful situations.

These hormones are also known as the catecholamines and form part of the body’s stress response system. They are typically released at times of great stress and excitement when you need additional energy and focus

Id say a hitting situation with the game on the line is probably a stressful situation for a pro athlete.

After reading the whole article I hope Chris finds an alternative!

http://nootriment.com/adderall/

Archived