Why Buck didn't pinch run for Hardy

sportsfan8703

I, you and everyone else is an expert at all this because we can look up Bourn's career numbers against Daniel Hudson and then compare that to his other splits and situational hitting and overall career numbers in the less than 25 seconds on MLB.com, ESPN and Baseball Reference. Clearly Buck needs to have his face in a laptop all nine innings.

Or he could just have someone run all the numbers he'll probably need and put them on a couple index cards before the game.

(Do they still make index cards?)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rely on things that are meaningful. SSSes, individual batter/pitcher matchups, and hot/cold stuff is usually predicts outcomes going forward worse than just going with longer sample overall numbers.

I bet managers use individual batter/pitcher matchup stats all the time. Don't see how that data is not meaningful once you reach a half dozen at bats or so. Matchups are a huge part of the game.

I bet managers use individual batter/pitcher matchup stats all the time. Don't see how that data is not meaningful once you reach a half dozen at bats or so. Matchups are a huge part of the game.

I'm sure they do use them. And I'm just as sure that the results of a half dozen at bats against a pitcher are as meaningful as reading chicken entrails for signs from the gods.

I'd rely on things that are meaningful. SSSes, individual batter/pitcher matchups, and hot/cold stuff is usually predicts outcomes going forward worse than just going with longer sample overall numbers.

So you would have went with Kim's .330/.422/.466/.887 Batting Line in 102 Plate Appearances when it is the seventh inning or later in a game?? That line is the best on the Orioles with players that have had more than 100 PA's this season from the seventh inning to end.

A half dozen.

2 for 6 = .333

2 for 10 = .200

See how quickly it changes?

Raw player matchup data doesn't show dribblers off the bat for hits, or screaming line drives that are caught. That Kim drive that Kiermaier went well over the wall to bring back? That counts as a single, just like an accidental bunt off the end of a bat.

I'm sure they do use them. And I'm just as sure that the results of a half dozen at bats against a pitcher are as meaningful as reading chicken entrails for signs from the gods.

I think that whether a hitter is hot overall vs a slumping hitter, etc, is more important than batter vs pitcher stats. The reason I think this is from my experience playing a decent amount of Fantasy Baseball. But Bourn is 7 of 12 against Hudson. That is no doubt meaningful. If you think batter vs pitcher stats, even in smallish sample sizes, are meaningless, then I look forward to kicking your ass in Fantasy Baseball next season. :D

A half dozen.

2 for 6 = .333

2 for 10 = .200

Raw player matchup data doesn't show dribblers off the bat for hits, or screaming line drives that are caught. That Kim drive that Kiermaier went well over the wall to bring back? That counts as a single, just like an accidental bunt off the end of a bat.

Those aren't the only stats. Number of walks, number of HRs, number of doubles. Of course it changes fast, but playing Fantasy Baseball I look at this stuff all the time. Agreed that batter vs pitcher stats are probably not as relevant, though, as whether or not a hitter is hot overall.

I think that whether a hitter is hot overall vs a slumping hitter, etc, is more important than batter vs pitcher stats. The reason I think this is from my experience playing a decent amount of Fantasy Baseball. But Bourn is 7 of 12 against Hudson. That is no doubt meaningful. If you think batter vs pitcher stats, even in smallish sample sizes, are meaningless, then I look forward to kicking your ass in Fantasy Baseball next season. :D

Ryan Flaherty has a 1.100 OPS against Rick Porcello.

If you pick up an insanely hot player that'll be worth about 0.005 wOBA points compared to just using season or career numbers.

SSS data is meaningful more-or-less never.

Those aren't the only stats. Number of walks, number of HRs, number of doubles. Of course it changes fast, but playing Fantasy Baseball I look at this stuff all the time. Agreed that batter vs pitcher stats are probably not as relevant, though, as whether or not a hitter is hot overall.

Hot is as relevant as whether or not it's Tuesday.

Do you think what Bourn did against Hudson six years ago has any relevance to today? (no I didn't look up when those 12 at bats actually occurred)

A half dozen.

2 for 6 = .333

2 for 10 = .200

He thinks Kim "has been bad lately" based on Sept splits, never mind that he just missed a home run the other day and had a near grand slam that went for a single.

Archived