Would you sign in blood for a 3-3 finish?

Frobby

Six games to go, all on the road, against Toronto and NY. The Jays have all the motivation in the world, trying to lock up the 1st wild card and keep their remote chances for a division title alive. The Yankees will likely be mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot by the time we play them.

So here's my question -- if you could guarantee a 3-3 finish, no better and no worse, would you take that deal? 3-3 does not foreclose some other team from catching or passing us, but it makes it very tough. To tie us, here is what the other teams would need to do:

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

My answer is, sign me up for the 3-3 deal!

Yeah sign me up I said before that 6 wins will most likely get us in.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Yankees win tonight, that puts the Yankees 5 back of us and puts us 1 back of the Blue Jays. In this case I would be fine with sweeping the Blue Jays and then being swept by New York - destroying Toronto in head to head would be good for a wild card game in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. If the Orioles can't beat the Blue Jays during a series how could they beat them during a one game playoff in Toronto? I would like to see at least 5-1.

So if we go 1-2 against the Blue Jays this series... that means we have no chance on winning 1 game against them in the WC? Am I missing something?

Six games to go, all on the road, against Toronto and NY. The Jays have all the motivation in the world, trying to lock up the 1st wild card and keep their remote chances for a division title alive. The Yankees will likely be mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot by the time we play them.

So here's my question -- if you could guarantee a 3-3 finish, no better and no worse, would you take that deal? 3-3 does not foreclose some other team from catching or passing us, but it makes it very tough. To tie us, here is what the other teams would need to do:

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

I think I would sign up too.

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

We have the tiebreaker with DET if we both win 88 games, correct? So if we go 3-3 don't they have to do 6-1?

So if we go 1-2 against the Blue Jays this series... that means we have no chance on winning 1 game against them in the WC? Am I missing something?

I wonder if he's saying if we go 5-1/6-0, we can play the game at home where we have fared much better against the Jays. So the likelihood of winning a 1 game playoff in Baltimore is higher than 1 win Toronto.

At least, that's how I'm taking it with the sentence at the end added.

No, I posted in an earlier thread before the AZ series that I think we need to finish 7-2 and I still believe that. We need to be 4-2 in these last 6. Detroit finish with 3 against Atlanta and are very likely to do to them what we just did to AZ.

Houston and Seattle play head to head - then face an out of the race team to finish (LA and Oak). If one of them sweeps their head to head - the chance for them to put up a monster last week is there. I'm very concerned 3-3 doesn't get it done - or results in a 1 game playoff to get the last Wild Card (which would be better than nothing - but still not ideal) I want at least 4-2 and clinch this thing on our own.

Sure I want the team to 6 and 0 but if not I have to be happy with a 3 and 3 finish and let the chips fall where they may.

I am not sure 3-3 gets us in. Not too worried about SEA but DET has a soft schedule. Plus there is a chance we pass TOR and get home field advantage. I like the upside of that scenario as well as I am petrified of the downside of DET going 6-1. So I say NO DEAL.

I'm not sure I'd agree that DET has a soft schedule. They have four games against a first place team that they are 2-13 against this season, followed by three road games against a team that has won 7 of their last 8. I'd say the chances of them going 6-1 are about the same chances that I have of getting a date with Jessica Alba!

I would probably take 3-3 as that most likely gets us into a postseason game unless Detroit goes 6-1. Houston and Seattle are meaningless if we go 3-3 unless one of them wins out which most likely will not happen with them playing each other in a series.

Ideally and probably the most realistic scenario we could hope for would be Toronto to lose tonight, We win 2of 3 from both Toronto and NY and the Jays lose the series against the Red Sox who are hoping for home field through the playoffs. That gives us the 1 seed in the WC and a home game against the Jays. This seems like the most logical best case scenario that could happen.

I'm not sure I'd agree that DET has a soft schedule. They have four games against a first place team that they are 2-13 against this season, followed by three road games against a team that has won 7 of their last 8. I'd say the chances of them going 6-1 are about the same chances that I have of getting a date with Jessica Alba!

I agree, and Detroit isn't exactly a juggernaut aside from playing the Twins. And as you mention, 2-13 vs. Cleve, with a young Braves team on deck who want to end the season with momentum. I see 4-3 at best for Detroit this week, which would mean the O's would need 3-3 to clinch, 2-4 for a tiebreaker game with Jessica Alba in attendance with Hutchead. I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit go 3-4 myself.

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

Yeah. And as the Orioles Sources I just spoke to said, "We are all big Cleveland fans this week."

Archived