I just got to wonder

fansince71

All really old and retired.
I was thinking that, but when I am their age, hard to call them old. :)
Like a Mike Matheney type? I don't like to in hire, even though the Tides manager is a good guy.
Worth a chance.
By that same thought process, $30m could be used better instead of Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley. Can't fix terrible signings/bad scouting/poor approaches to offseasons.
Image that, Look taking yet another postshot at the DD.
Of the 16000 fans that sit in the seats, 70 percent were for it.
it wouldn't surprise me, if the ratio in favor, was that high.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris is still putting up a 3.1 WAR this season, and he leads the team in winning hits, so can you really say, the contract is wrong, and I am talking currently and not what might happen in the future.

What qualifies as a "winning hit"? Does that include if he gets an RBI single in the first inning to make it 1-0 in a game the O's eventually win 10-0?

I'm not saying Davis has had a bad year, but that stat seems particularly meaningless.

There is a conceit around here that we know the flaws and shortcomings of this team better than the guys who run it. It isn't true. Dan and Buck are not going to have some blinding revelation if we miss the playoffs by a game, nor will they be misled if we squeak in. But they aren't going to blow up a pretty good team because it isn't a great one. They'll tinker and try to find ways to make incremental improvements, like they always try to do.

The only way in which the OP might make sense would be if missing the playoffs led the Orioles to go into a rebuild, trading Britton and others for young talent that can't be expected to contend for a few years. I can't imagine that happening as long as the team is around or over .500 and the current owner is in charge.

I can understand why the owner would look at it that way -- and that's probably the kindest thing I have said, or ever will say, about him.

The only way in which the OP might make sense would be if missing the playoffs led the Orioles to go into a rebuild, trading Britton and others for young talent that can't be expected to contend for a few years. I can't imagine that happening as long as the team is around or over .500 and the current owner is in charge.

I can understand why the owner would look at it that way -- and that's probably the kindest thing I have said, or ever will say, about him.

If the Orioles do not make the playoffs, I would be ok with trading Manny, Britton, Schoop, Tillman, and Brach for a reasonable return for each.

Ruben! He won it all twice.

He didn't understand the game, and had trouble understand AB and walks.

He also was responsible for the downwhirl sprial that they were on.

Do you think, maybe, this was an example of winning, in spite of whom was there?

The Orioles won with Joe A. at the helm and some posters feel, he was one of the weakest Oriole managers. But he has a WS trophy.

He didn't understand the game, and had trouble understand AB and walks.

He also was responsible for the downwhirl sprial that they were on.

Do you think, maybe, this was an example of winning, in spite of whom was there?

The Orioles won with Joe A. at the helm and some posters feel, he was one of the weakest Oriole managers. But he has a WS trophy.

Some folks say it means nothing if you do not take home the prize. Ruben did it twice!

If the Orioles do not make the playoffs, I would be ok with trading Manny, Britton, Schoop, Tillman, and Brach for a reasonable return for each.

Label me as one fan that says Heck No, you don't trade your stars, unless, somebody team is really winning to over pay, like the Mariners did with AJ and Tilly trade.

I hate to witness another Glen Davis trade.

What qualifies as a "winning hit"? Does that include if he gets an RBI single in the first inning to make it 1-0 in a game the O's eventually win 10-0?

I'm not saying Davis has had a bad year, but that stat seems particularly meaningless.

He is second among the position players in Win Probability Added, so he must have had some key hits somewhere along the way. And tangentially, although I agree that the game winning hit stat is fairly unimportant, I think the first run of the game is often the most important. Don't discount those RBI singles in the first inning, I wish we had more of them!

If you get in then you never know. I do not think we can beat the Red Sox in a 7 game series but if the season ended today we get a 1 game playoff vs the Jays and then a series against the Rangers. I actually like our chances against the Rangers or even the Indians. I would love the Indians to get the home field advantage and then face them in the division series. They have a banged up rotation and Klueber may not be back to start that series. If we could play them and then the Rangers knock out the Red Sox I actually like our chances in both series.

To me it doesn't matter whether they make the playoffs or not. Nobody on the team should be sacred, but of course it depends on what the return is and what the team is trying to do.

I see you left Adam Jones off your list. He's one year short of being a 10-and-5 guy, so if he's ever going to be traded, this offseason would be the time to look at it.

By the way, I am not necessarily advocating trading any of these guys. I just think all options should be on the table.

How about walk off homer, when the game is tied?

Why is that stat meaningless, when a player produces the game winning hit?

Archived