How early would you go to the pen tonight?

sportsfan8703

This should be like the WC game in 2012 where we basically had Steve Johnson warming with Joe Saunders starting.

O'day came in early during Gallardo's last start.

We could match up with more confidence ealier in the game than we could a few weeks ago. Deunsing has looked good recently. Hart has been amazing. Hunter can go 1+.

We all know the magic number for Gallardo is 75 pitches. He's going to do his nibble act. I'm fine with that. But I could see him bumping that FB up since it will probably be his last appearance of the season for us. Leave everything out there.

Cons to this strategy are that Givens and Brach have pitched 2 innings the last two nights. They might both be unavailable.

I'd say 4+ with 2 ER is when we should be looking to bring in someone. Don't let this one get away.

Keep in mind, we have committed to Miley pitching tomorrow and he is far from a sure thing. We can't burn the whole bullpen tonight. I would like to hold onto to Bundy as an option to back up Miley for multiple innings and/or as a 7th inning bridge option.

That said, yes, get guys ready to come in early and often. I don't think Brach is available after 2 innings last night.

For tonight, Givens and Britton had the night off last night. They get the 8th and 9th. Hart as pitched two nights in a row but only 1 out last night. He could be an option for a matchup out but probably not more.

If we need to get another inning or two, I would not hesitate to go with Drake. With slightly more hesitation, O'Day and Tommy. We would have to be extremely desperate to bring in Worley or Wilson.

Another possibility in an emergency would be to bring in Miley. Even though he is scheduled tomorrow it could be done.

In short, all bets are off. Depending on how many innings we need Gallardo can definitely be on a short leash. But he has also showed he can settle down and get better even if he gives up a run or two early.

A lot of the Pitching Changes will be Weather Dominated. If it looks like a significant Rain Delay, then you need a pitcher that could possibly go two or three innings and come in as early as the third inning.

This could be a huge factor as to why we're not seeing Bundy as the starter. Risk Gallardo and Miley in a stop/start type of game instead of Bundy. There is definitely a reason for Bundy not starting.

Hart and Duensing should be weapons tonight if they bat Gardner and Ellsbury back to back.

I'm thinking that Gallardo nibbles his way through and we're winning after 4. After that, I just hope Buck will have a quick trigger to pull him and not let a lineup see him for a third time when he's past 70 pitches. I could see something like this;

1-4 Gallardo, We're up 2-1, 3-2 (hopefully).

5th Gallardo, get into jam and bring Hart, Duensing O'day in to get out of the 5th.

6th O'day

7th Givens, Hart/Duensing

8th ????

9th Britton

Gotta grind this game out like a playoff game.

Depends on the work that has been done. Gallardo is a veteran pitcher who will be facing a lot of young hitters with holes in their approaches. If the scouting report is solid and Gallardo executes I think you may not need the bullpen until the 6th or 7th inning.

Right on. We saw in his game against the Dbacks that he can take advantage of young lineups. Hopefully he can repeat that tonight.

The Yankees just swept the Red Sox. So let's not write them off.

As for the theory of Gallardo facing young lineups:

Ellsbury CF

Headley 3B

Sanchez C

McCann DH

Teixeira 1B

Didi SS

Hicks RF

Williams LF

Torreyes 2B

Pineda P

5 out of 9 are veterans (Ellsbury, Headley, McCann, Teixeira, Didi, Hicks).

Archived