Possible 3-Way Tie Decision

Filmstudy

Right now Seattle is down 6-4, facing elimination.

However, if Det wins 2, the O's lose, and the Jays lose on Sun/Mon (and Sea loses either tonight or tomorrow)...we would have a 3-way tie for 2 WC spots.

In that case Bal and Tor will play at Skydome for 1 spot and the loser will play at Det for the 2nd spot. That means the tiebreaking procedure will last until at least Wed. MLB could accelerate by playing the Tor/Bal game on Monday night if the Tigers win during the day.

I've looked at the tiebreaker rules, and I think I have it correct, but I'd appreciate a check.

Per Bob Nightengale:

The Toronto Blue Jays will host the first game of a potential three-way tiebreaker Tuesday while the Baltimore Orioles have opted to play one home game Wednesday instead of playing two potential road games to earn a wild-card berth, MLB officials told USA TODAY Sports.

The officials spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity since MLB has not publicly announced the teams? decisions if there?s a three-way tiebreaker between the Blue Jays, Orioles and Detroit Tigers.

The Blue Jays, designated as Team A in the tie-breaker procedure, informed MLB they would host the first game on Tuesday. If they lose, would play the following day in Baltimore against the Orioles.

The Orioles, designated as Team B, decided to host a one-game sudden-elimination game Wednesday at Camden Yards against the loser of the Blue Jays and Tigers? game. They had the option of having two chances, both on the road, to reach the wild-card game. They instead opted to play the one home game, an Orioles executive confirmed to USA TODAY Sports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2016/10/01/three-way-wild-card-tiebreaker-scenario-blue-jays-tigers-orioles/91414008/

Archived