Has the clubhouse celebration shtick gotten a little too scripted?

Frobby

Champagne for division winners. Gatorade and ice water only for Wild Card. It does seem like a celebration "format" that was cool when it started but it's gotten old. I would love for them to walk into the room with all the sheeting and just have a nice relaxed toast to a job well done.

Whatever they do in cricket. I'd imagine a restrained "huzzah" followed by an impossibly expensive brandy and a detached air of indifference. Then Molesworth drives you home in a 1931 Duesenberg.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"How about Kevin F________ Gausman!" - Tommy Hunter

I don't think that part was scripted.

We also got to hear from our GM and Owner Adam Jones tell the media that starting pitching is our main concern in the offseason...... they need to stop letting this guy speak.. I mean seriously you say that as your team reaches the post-season FFS

These are pro forma events like the post game interviews. I imagine the players celebrate after most big wins, the difference being the absence of cameras and Champagne. And the presence of profanity. The real celebration remains in the clubhouse.

Whatever they do in cricket. I'd imagine a restrained "huzzah" followed by an impossibly expensive brandy and a detached air of indifference. Then Molesworth drives you home in a 1931 Duesenberg.

Jolly good show, Mr. Jones. And to you, sir, Mr. Machado! A tip o' the ol' cap to ye, sir, Thomas Hunter!

Champagne should be for something REALLY big. Hugs and handshakes and maybe some thank you's and lets go get ems...but i was almost embarrassed to watch those guys. AL EAST title ? You bet. ALCS? Definitely. But second wild card only means you get a chance to play with the real winners. Sorry, right now, in my (probably unpopular) opinion we didnt win anything at all.Yet.

I'm with you on this one Roy. It was fun I guess and there's nothing really wrong with celebrating getting into the playoffs, but slipping in as the 2nd Wild Card seems like there should be a less subdued celebration. then again, I'm not a fan of the jumping up and down in unison and then beating the hell out of the guy who just had a walkoff is right either. And although Hunter was clearly pumped, how in the hell is that guy leading the celebratory remarks? He barely was on the team this year.

I'm with you on this one Roy. It was fun I guess and there's nothing really wrong with celebrating getting into the playoffs, but slipping in as the 2nd Wild Card seems like there should be a less subdued celebration. then again, I'm not a fan of the jumping up and down in unison and then beating the hell out of the guy who just had a walkoff is right either. And although Hunter was clearly pumped, how in the hell is that guy leading the celebratory remarks? He barely was on the team this year.

I think they brought Hunter back just to be Chris Farley/John Belushi at team parties.

Somebody was asking him to lead the team. I heard a player tell him time for Ric Flair or something along those lines.

I get both sides. Of course as a Redskin fan I always loved John Riggins just tossing the ball to the ref when he scored. But I don't care. It's the third time the O's have made the playoffs in ANY way for the last 19 years and only the 5th time in 33 years. I can cut em some slack, even Tommy Hunter. But it's a perfectly valid question to ask when is getting there not enough! And... I think that is a great problem for the O's to have.....

Of course as a Redskin fan I always loved John Riggins just tossing the ball to the ref when he scored.

Of course that's the same John Riggins who passed out drunk at Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's table at a formal dinner after telling her to "loosen up, baby." I guess that's old school, act like a boy scout on the field, and totally out of control off the field when the press mostly looked the other way.

Of course that's the same John Riggins who passed out drunk at Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's table at a formal dinner after telling her to "loosen up, baby." I guess that's old school, act like a boy scout on the field, and totally out of control off the field when the press mostly looked the other way.

Either way, his approach was to act like it wasn't his first time....;). And of course it wasn't.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trumbo on Sunday celebration: "Was the first time in my career I got to experience it. It was every bit as much fun as I was hoping for."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">October 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived