Poll: Fireable Offense?

VeveJones007

Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I posed the question to take the temperature of the fans here. I think >95% of us are upset that Britton never pitched in that game, but I wanted to see how far we were willing to take it.

That being said, someone mentioned "falling asleep on the job," which I think is an apt comparison. In a vacuum, is it a fireable offense? Sure. When it's a really good employee who has been responsible for turning around your business, you let it slide.

Maybe it's the park. Cito used to fall asleep in the dugout, didn't he?

There's a reason I didn't name Buck in the question, but it's impossible to separate the two given how close we are to the situation. If it were a poor to average manager, I think last night would have been a tipping point. Given that Buck has a solid track record of success, it's a major blemish, but not worthy of termination.

Makes sense to me.

I just find it hard to believe that Buck of all people believes he should only use Zach in a save only situation in a WV game.

I have been thinking about this all day. Maybe I am way off but I really wonder if this was all about Brach and O'Day. Call me crazy but perhaps Buck was worried how Brach and O'Day would handle closing out a lead in that stadium. Once we didn't have the lead going into the 8th he would rather have Brach pitch in a tie game then a game with a lead. Brad had his issues down the stretch. He also beyond the numbers showed some visable frustration on the mound. O'Day was coming off an injury. When he pitched O'Day it was a spot in the order he matched up well with.

At the end of the day I just find it hard to believe that Buck is so set in his ways that Britton would only pitch in a save spot, has to be more to it than that.

I just wonder if he was worried how certain pitchers would fare in a save situation. All that said no way do I pitch Ubaldo there. Bundy would have been my call.

I just find it hard to believe that Buck of all people believes he should only use Zach in a save only situation in a WV game.

I have been thinking about this all day. Maybe I am way off but I really wonder if this was all about Brach and O'Day. Call me crazy but perhaps Buck was worried how Brach and O'Day would handle closing out a lead in that stadium. Once we didn't have the lead going into the 8th he would rather have Brach pitch in a tie game then a game with a lead. Brad had his issues down the stretch. He also beyond the numbers showed some visable frustration on the mound. O'Day was coming off an injury. When he pitched O'Day it was a spot in the order he matched up well with.

At the end of the day I just find it hard to believe that Buck is so set in his ways that Britton would only pitch in a save spot, has to be more to it than that.

I just wonder if he was worried how certain pitchers would fare in a save situation. All that said no way do I pitch Ubaldo there. Bundy would have been my call.

No, I think it really was that he wanted the O's to score and have Britton there to shut it down in the bottom of the inning. Which would have been great except for the inconvenient runs the Jays scored to win the game before the O's got to use their best reliever.

No, I think it really was that he wanted the O's to score and have Britton there to shut it down in the bottom of the inning. Which would have been great except for the inconvenient runs the Jays scored to win the game before the O's got to use their best reliever.

We all wanted that. I just don't buy the idea in an elimination game he had to save Britton for a save spot. Something had to impact him. I don't think Buck is an inflexible hard head.

The one advantage a road team has in an extra inning game is the ability to use their closer after taking the lead. As soon as Liriano came in to pitch I said, the only way we can win is if we can hold the Blue Jays scoreless until Liriano throws 100 pitches. I would have brought in Bundy instead of Ubaldo.

Buck was in a no win situation. If he used Britton and got out of the 11th..then took the lead in the 13th, and had to bring Wilson to close the game, and lost, people would have complained that we didn't have our closer finish the game.

It's been explained 100 times or more why it was a bad decision. IF you want to ignore all that and defend it, who can stop you?

I can see both sides...do or die, Britton was your best option at that moment...but I think we would have been in the same situation 2 innings later. What lost last night game was our inability to mount any type of an attack outside of Trumbo's HR.

What would you rather have the same situation two innings later or no situation at all two innings later?

I get it....but Bundy for 5 innings would have been my choice...there was no way we were winning that game until the 19th or 20th inning.

Let's see...Won more games than any team in AL last five years icluding 3 playoff appearances. Universally admired and respected by players and community, excellent clubhouse, a place where players want to play....Sure, firing him sounds like the right course. lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived