Nobody I'd rather have behind the helm in 2017 than Buck

LookitsPuck

Add Hardy to the list. only Trumbo' date=' Kim and Bourn put together any type of AB last night. Granted Jones had 1 good ab and got on base (go figure, you go with the slider away and get a hit) but other than that it was a whole lot of nothing.

Toronto had 3-4 legit chances to win that game. The O's had zero. Bottom line end of story. The last chance they had to win was in the 5th inning. They didn't have a runner in scoring position after the top of the 5th inning and not a single base hit after the 6th.

I will blame Buck for going to Ubaldo instead of maybe Hunter there against 7 straight RH. Dunno why he was holding Hunter back. I can't fault him for not bringing Britton in. [b']Any second-guessing based upon the assumption that the Orioles were going to score in the next half inning that Britton pitched was flawed based upon how they were swing and the strike zone last night. More likely than not, they would have used up Britton and not scored. Plain and simple.[/b]

Very true words. We have a good thing going with Buck. He's the best manager for this team.

If we're going to play the "what if" game, then we should have won the game at the NYY on saturday. Miley and Brach blew it. Maybe things are different at OPACY. I know the strike calls would have been more neutral.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, I don't even care at what point Buck would have brought Britton in. I just wanted to see one of the best pitchers in the game be utilized.

Short-sighted and misguided imo. If the O's scored in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th we wouldn't be having this discussion. Buck and the pen gave the offense 18 outs to scratch 1 run and get to Britton. They couldn't do it.

Short-sighted and misguided imo. If the O's scored in the 6th' date=' 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th we wouldn't be having this discussion. Buck and the pen gave the offense 18 outs to scratch 1 run and get to Britton. They couldn't do it.[/quote']

Every pitcher after Hart had a leverage index over 2.00. That situation in a playoff game is why they make Zach Brittons.

Every pitcher after Hart had a leverage index over 2.00. That situation in a playoff game is why they make Zach Brittons.

Again, the Orioles needed to score 1 run in the 6th - 11th inning and Britton would have been in for at least 3 outs possibly 6.

if you have 18 outs and can't score 1 run against a below average, struggling bullpen; I am sorry, but your batters blew it.

a) Talking about firing Buck is an absurd emotional knee-jerk, a response to a hard-to-stomach loss

but

b) Not using Britton was clearly a mistake

This sums it up. Boneheaded error, but let's keep things in perspective.

Short-sighted and misguided imo. If the O's scored in the 6th' date=' 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th we wouldn't be having this discussion. Buck and the pen gave the offense 18 outs to scratch 1 run and get to Britton. They couldn't do it.[/quote']

Over the span of those 18 outs/6 innings, we hit one ball out of the infield (lazy pop fly to right from Davis) and struck out six times.

By the way, can't we say we lost because of the bats AND Buck should have used Britton before Ubaldo? A lot of people seem to be arguing it's one thing or the other.

Baseball managers I'd rather have than Buck

Bruce Bochy

Joe Maddon

Terry Francona

Joe Girardi

Jeff Banister

There's five right there. Hell, even John Gibbons was smart enough to use his closer and best reliever Roberto Osuna in a non-save situation. Typically you don't use closers in extra innings at home but even Gibbons realized the urgency of every inning was and didn't wanted to risk going down with bullets left in the chamber.

The top 2 maybe. Girardi? I'd rather chew glass, swallow it, and crap it out.

Over the span of those 18 outs/6 innings, we hit one ball out of the infield (lazy pop fly to right from Davis) and struck out six times.

By the way, can't we say we lost because of the bats AND Buck should have used Britton before Ubaldo? A lot of people seem to be arguing it's one thing or the other.

I would have went to Hunter before Ubaldo. I happen to be a believer in holding your closer until you have a lead on the road...even in an elimination game...especially when you have a boom bust offense that's prone to looooooooooooooong dry spells during games.

There's still no manager I'd take over Buck - even though he blew it last night - not just with choosing Ubaldo over Britton - but also choosing Reimold over Kim at the end of the game. I'm not sure I'll ever get his fascination with Reimold.

There's still no manager I'd take over Buck - even though he blew it last night - not just with choosing Ubaldo over Britton - but also choosing Reimold over Kim at the end of the game. I'm not sure I'll ever get his fascination with Reimold.

Reimold had good numbers against Liriano. But, I believe last night was his first playoff appearance. Buck did overestimate his ability to handle the moment.

Reimold had good numbers against Liriano. But' date=' I believe last night was his first playoff appearance. Buck did overestimate his ability to handle the moment.[/quote']

I don't think it's that; I think he's just a bad baseball player - and one of the worst LFers I've ever seen. He just has no instincts for the position. That bobble he made was par for the course - that pretty much ended the game - though Ubaldo throwing 89 - 90 MPH flat fastballs right over the heart of the plate...

Again' date=' the Orioles needed to score 1 run in the 6th - 11th inning and Britton would have been in for at least 3 outs possibly 6.

if you have 18 outs and can't score 1 run against a below average, struggling bullpen; I am sorry, but your batters blew it.[/quote']

How does a failure to score excuse not using your best reliever in any one of several high leverage situations?

Of course. They could have won by getting more runs earlier. They could have won if Britton had thrown a scoreless inning or two and someone hits a ball out. They lost because the Baltimore Orioles weren't quite good enough last night.

Archived