When did you turn the TV off?

Frobby

For me, the instant I realized that ball was headed for the stands, I turned my TV off. Didn't even wait for Encarnacion to get to 3B. The last thing I needed was to watch the Blue Jays celebrate or the announcers doing their interviews and post-mortem. I hate it when the Orioles' season ends, whether it's after Game 162 or Game 7 of the World Series, and losing that way to that team is something I did not want to wallow in.

Same here. I was sure the ball was gone, but even if it somehow didn't clear the wall, it was definitely deep enough to be a sac fly (thanks, Nolan, for letting runner get to third.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not gonna lie. Went to bed after the top of the 7th. Was content to watch the highlights when I woke up.

Honestly, it just wasn't even enjoyable. I'd actually have been fine if we had won that one and then be swept by the Rangers, but I wanted that one just a bit too badly.

Wow. You went to bed 2-2 in elimination game in the 7th inning? How does that happen?

I was at a sports bar and the second he hit that ball, I couldnt find the girl to pay my bill fast enough.

That's one thing I like about the end of close football games... I can typically get my tab paid before the final drive starts, letting me just turn and quietly walk out if it doesn't go the way I'm hoping.

For me, the instant I realized that ball was headed for the stands, I turned my TV off. Didn't even wait for Encarnacion to get to 3B. The last thing I needed was to watch the Blue Jays celebrate or the announcers doing their interviews and post-mortem. I hate it when the Orioles' season ends, whether it's after Game 162 or Game 7 of the World Series, and losing that way to that team is something I did not want to wallow in.

Same here. I saw the ball was going to go out, and hit the DVR button on my remote. That puts the picture up in a little corner of the TV. During the 10 seconds it took me to navigate to and hit play on a the last episode of Fear the Walking Dead, I saw a tiny bit of the celebration of the plate on the small screen.

Kept surfing, posting OH. When someone said Buck's presser was on MASN I paused my show to watch that.

I was watching on Sling TV with a 7-day free trial. (I'm out of town and normally watch on mlb.tv). I pulled out my headphones as soon as I was completely sure the ball was fair. I finished filling out my scoresheet, X-ed out of Sling TV, and cancelled my subscription within seconds.

Back in 1977, though, I went to bed thinking that a game was over, and woke up the next morning to find out we had won:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1977/B06292CLE1977.htm

So I'm always a little careful about doing the modern equivalent of "turning off the radio," especially now that we have the instant replay review system. But this time it was clear we were toast. (But did they check for pine tar on the bat?)

Archived