Was last night Matt Wieters last game as an O?

Todd-O

Just curious to get the pulse of the fans... very tough call. The guy shows moments of brightness followed by moments of very average. I've enjoyed watching him over the years...but it sure seems like we could get someone nearly as effective for far less...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be but I don't know if it will. Gut says yes but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back. Really not a smart move IMO if he is. We need to free up some cash. One thing for sure, I wouldn't offer him the QO, to risky.

I think it's likely... He will not get a QO. There will be teams interested in his services - catcher is still a position that some clubs struggle with filling. The Orioles are going to have to tighten up payroll somewhere, and it's unlikely they'd splurge for Matt. I'd think he'd have to take a very team-friendly deal. Maybe he's got enough good vibes going with the team and Buck to do that. But I'm guessing he moves on.

I think it's likely... He will not get a QO. There will be teams interested in his services - catcher is still a position that some clubs struggle with filling. The Orioles are going to have to tighten up payroll somewhere, and it's unlikely they'd splurge for Matt. I'd think he'd have to take a very team-friendly deal. Maybe he's got enough good vibes going with the team and Buck to do that. But I'm guessing he moves on.

I'm not predicting where Matt will end up, but if you assume that Sisco will not be with the orioles next year, are there a lot of teams that will need catching more than we will with a combination of Joseph and Pena? Teams that can afford what Wieters will be looking for (or what we would pay him)?

I'm not predicting where Matt will end up, but if you assume that Sisco will not be with the orioles next year, are there a lot of teams that will need catching more than we will with a combination of Joseph and Pena? Teams that can afford what Wieters will be looking for (or what we would pay him)?

Wieters is looking for a megadeal. Someone, not us, will pay for it. We don't need a catcher like Ramos becasue we have Sisco, and I don't think we're buying on a catcher this year because of that.

Wieters is looking for a megadeal. Someone, not us, will pay for it. We don't need a catcher like Ramos becasue we have Sisco, and I don't think we're buying on a catcher this year because of that.

Sisco hasn't played 1 big league career and you are already ready to anoint him the job?

I think it's very likely he's back next year.

I think it's very unlikely. They won't QO him again, and his real value is something like 2/16. He'll probably be looking for at least 3/36, maybe more. I think it's Nick Markakis all over again... they'll try to bring him back at quasi-team-friendly rates (like 3/24) but someone will offer him 4/40 and he'll jump.

I was against the QO last year but I would do it this year. He's proven he's healthy and I think he's less likely to take it. On the other hand, if he does take it, it's not like Caleb set the world on fire last year.

I agree. I think a QO makes more sense this offseason than it did last, and I was ok with it then.

Archived