We will be seeing a lot of lot Chris Sale (traded to the Red Sox)

xian4

Wow. 

It's going to be VERY interesting to see when (IF) we improve in the face of the Yanks and Red Sox being able to make any move they want to in the offseason. 

DD has got his work cut out especially since we don't have much at all to offer in trades other than our elite relief staff. 

MSK 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of how good Moncada is, this is not good news for the O's or the rest of the division. Price/Sale will be the scariest 1-2 SP combo in the AL. Plus Porcello who doesn't seem as good...but just won the Cy Young. At least Ortiz is gone?

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And what pitcher, exactly, is a sure thing over a three year period?

No player is a 100 percent sure thing over even a 3-day period. But Sale is an established top-of-the-rotation lefty starting pitcher (arguably the best in the American League). Moncada is a prospect who hit .277 in AA. He has enormous potential, but baseball history is littered with unrealized potential. Give me the guy who has proven himself.

56 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

This is obviously terrible news. However, I am so glad that the Yankees did not get him. I can stomach the Redsox more than the Yankees. The Orioles need Mark Trumbo even more now.

We need an average player more because the Sox picked up one of the best pitchers in baseball? I'm not following.

7 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

No player is a 100 percent sure thing over even a 3-day period. But Sale is an established top-of-the-rotation lefty starting pitcher (arguably the best in the American League). Moncada is a prospect who hit .277 in AA. He has enormous potential, but baseball history is littered with unrealized potential. Give me the guy who has proven himself.

For as long as I've been a member of this board, this issue is the core key thing that kills the Orioles every. single. offseason. 

They have a supreme reluctance to going out and getting the proven commodity and often will take on short-deal impact guys (Nelson Cruz, Mark Trumbo) or a bunch of dudes who MIGHT operate at league-average or better. It bites us in the behind year after year after year. 

I know we have prohibitive economics here, but there has to be a better way to develop talent in our system so we can make some big trades to strengthen our team. I get sick to my stomach to see how the Red Sox or Yanks wheel and deal while we wring our hands. 

MSK 

I need a drink.  I work in an office in Connecticut.  Most of my friends and colleagues are big baseball fans as well. All I have heard today.

Bring on the Cubs!

Moncada wasn't anything to give up, he can't hit the curve.

Kopech was okay but his arm is going to fall off.

Dubon was a fringe prospect.

Thornburg may be better than Britton and if not is certainly better than anyone else the Orioles can throw out there.

Serenity Now!

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I need a drink.  I work in an office in Connecticut.  Most of my friends and colleagues are big baseball fans as well. All I have heard today.

Bring on the Cubs!

Moncada wasn't anything to give up, he can't hit the curve.

Kopech was okay but his arm is going to fall off.

Dubon was a fringe prospect.

Thornburg may be better than Britton and if not is certainly better than anyone else the Orioles can throw out there.

Serenity Now!

Must be hell, living and working in Boston fandom land! :)

This is a big move by Boston, but Sale seems very emotionally fragile.  How would Boston media react if he cut up all his teammates uniforms like he did in Chicago.  He seems very childish.  I don't know how he will react if he has a few rough starts at the beginning of the season and the media cranks the pressure up. 

On paper, the Red Sox are way ahead of anyone in the division, but I'm not sold on Porcello being an ace and Price doesn't look like the pitcher he was in Tampa. 

49 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

At 21.  Funny how you left off the part about the 379 OBP and 531 slugging (910 OPS).

Yes Moncada could flame out, and Sale's arm could finally explode into a thousand shards.

Give me the 6+ years of price controlled position player over 3 years of a starting pitcher with a reasonable contract

That is leaving off the fact that the Red Sox also gave up a very nice pitching prospect and two other pieces.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At 21.  Funny how you left off the part about the 379 OBP and 531 slugging (910 OPS).

Yes Moncada could flame out, and Sale's arm could finally explode into a thousand shards.

Give me the 6+ years of price controlled position player over 3 years of a starting pitcher with a reasonable contract

That is leaving off the fact that the Red Sox also gave up a very nice pitching prospect and two other pieces.

So he had a nice OPS in AA. It's still AA. Do we know he can hit a big league curve ball? Small sample size, but his OPS in the majors was .513. He struck out 12 times in 19 at bats. And that's the point. We have no idea how good he might be. Now I'm not a scout and I didn't watch him in the minor leagues, but when I watched him play in the big leagues he looked seriously overmatched. He was clueless against breaking pitches. Maybe he'll overcome that and become a Hall of Fame hitter someday. But until I actually see him hit big league curve balls with some consistency, I'm tempering my expectations. And I'm taking Chris Sale every single time.

Oh, and whatever else the Red Sox gave up is irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about your statement that you'd take Moncada for Sale straight up.

Archived