Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

20 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Are we still nearing a deal with Castillo?

Or can we rename this thread "Welington Castillo is a catcher and the Orioles need one"?

I'd say, wait until after the physical next week to rename it.  Also, Dan assures you that he is not waiting until January for his catcher.  So that basically means next week. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Are we still nearing a deal with Castillo?

Or can we rename this thread "Welington Castillo is a catcher and the Orioles need one"?

For those seeking a new headline, we apparently, are now "seaking" a deal with him. That sounds like it could hurt.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

That's what happens when you won't close a deal waiting for Wieters. Buck wants Wieters. So now the Orioles can bid against themselves for Wieters once Castillo signs with a team that can close a deal.

I don't think Buck is what slowed this down.

I think Dan does slow just fine on his own.

3 minutes ago, billw76 said:

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/12/12/looking-likely-castillo-signs-someone-besides-os/

Don't know how accurate but Castillo may be signing somewhere else

It was previously reported that Castillo's camp wants a three-year deal and the Orioles only wanted to offer a two-year deal.  I wonder if that is the impasse that may kill the deal.  I know that the Orioles are grooming Sisco for the future, but I personally wouldn't be against a three-year contract, so long as it doesn't include a no-trade clause.  If Sisco is deemed ready the second half of 2018 or spring, 2019, you look to trade Castillo.  If Sisco, on the other hand, shows that he really won't be a MLB catcher, hey, we have Castillo.  Sure there is injury risk, I suppose, but isn't there always?  Castillo doesn't appear to be too old to merit a three-year deal to me.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That very well could be. I suspect the Wellington Castillo interest may have been a tactic to force Wieters hand. Boras as he usually does, has called their bluff it seems. I'm not against Wieters on a 2 year deal, but I fear they panic and give him 3 or 4.

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

It was previously reported that Castillo's camp wants a three-year deal and the Orioles only wanted to offer a two-year deal.  I wonder if that is the impasse that may kill the deal.  I know that the Orioles are grooming Sisco for the future, but I personally wouldn't be against a three-year contract, so long as it doesn't include a no-trade clause.  If Sisco is deemed ready the second half of 2018 or spring, 2019, you look to trade Castillo.  If Sisco, on the other hand, shows that he really won't be a MLB catcher, hey, we have Castillo.  Sure there is injury risk, I suppose, but isn't there always?  Castillo doesn't appear to be too old to merit a three-year deal to me.

I too would be ok on a 3 year deal for Castillo.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Castillo wants 3 years and he's getting interest from other teams. Buck and John Russell just want a good catcher.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I think the length may be the issue too. The problem I have with that is we'll probably end up re-signing Wieters now for 3yrs to a contract at least double what it would have taken to get Castillo.

I really don't like the idea of bringing Wieters back, and this whole thing of having money available for Davis, Trumbo or Wieters but nobody else is not the way to go. There are holes that need to be filled but I think on opening day it'll be mostly the same roster with no real improvements.

Archived