Tillman is Back

backwardsk

27 minutes ago, bobmc said:

It was tough watching Chris yesterday.  No walks but he ran the counts up there and the amount of "balls out of his hand" seemed high as usual.  He wasn't awful but tedious and painful.  The HBP on Castro was embarrassing.  IDK any more.  He's hurting. 

But hey, he's got a great TTTP!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, bobmc said:

It was tough watching Chris yesterday.  No walks but he ran the counts up there and the amount of "balls out of his hand" seemed high as usual.  He wasn't awful but tedious and painful.  The HBP on Castro was embarrassing.  IDK any more.  He's hurting. 

His second inning was very rough, but I actually thought he looked a lot better than he had in his first and third innings. Specifically, his slider broke downward instead of flattening out, as it had been. Like I said, he lost it for a bit in his second inning of work, but overall I was encouraged by improved pitch execution and command. 

6 hours ago, bobmc said:

Couldn't agree more except for the last part. Tillman may not be hurting but the effects of the shoulder injury have changed his release point from last year. Just the fact he cannot get on top of pitches like he used to could really make him a project at this point. Not only does he leave pitches up, but many armside as well that are non competitive.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Couldn't agree more except for the last part. Tillman may not be hurting but the effects of the shoulder injury have changed his release point from last year. Just the fact he cannot get on top of pitches like he used to could really make him a project at this point. Not only does he leave pitches up, but many armside as well that are non competitive.

At this point in his career, he is a project. He will have to learn how to be more of a finesse pitcher. Can the Orioles pitching coaches handle a reclamation project  and give him a 1-year incentive laden contract? Would he be willing to pitch long relief while he is learning? How is Ramon Martinez with this sort of project? Alan Mills or anyone else?  Or just give up on him and cut him loose, let some other team try to reclaim him? These are the sorts of questions to consider.

Thinking about Chris Tillman makes me tired. Seems like I have been thinking about his potential, when he will fulfill  that potential, why isn't he in shape when he finally looks like he is fulfilling that potential, and nuts that injury just nipped that potential in the bud for a way longer time than he was simply pitching well and it was awesome. 

Archived