Kevin Gausman, Dylan Bundy -- Primed & Ready

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting that Bundy is talking about using his cutter this year and Strasburg is talking about using his less.

Strasburg delivered all of his pitches during a bullpen session that lasted around 10 minutes. He plans to throw his slider/cutter less frequently in 2017 in order to relieve some stress on his troublesome right elbow. The right-hander remains a high-risk, high-reward fantasy starter leading into 2017. All of the early signs are good.

It seems like Strasburg  ramped up his use of that pitch way higher in 2016.    Fangraphs shows him throwing 17% sliders last year after barely throwing it before (they don't call it a cutter).    I wouldn't expect Bundy to throw his 17% of the time.     But if he picked a few key spots to throw it, that would make life that much tougher for the batters.  

Rose and Millar are pretty weak when it comes to analysis of any kind so that doesn't surprise me to hear them say that.

Getting back to the article, I thought this was a good read. Dempsey is in his element with his over-the-top praise and projections. I mainly enjoyed the quotes from both of them. It's encouraging that Bundy's arm is feeling great. They both seem to have a lot of confidence coming into this season and I can't wait to see them on the mound. If they can hit their stride this year then we will have a couple of cornerstone guys at the top of the rotation for a while.

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I was watching Rose and Millar yesterday, and they were talking about Tillman's injury. They said after Tillman, nothing really makes you go wow. I guess they aren't high on Gausman or Bundy. Not that their opinion matters.

Zach Wheeler has elbow tenderness again. 

12 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

A lot of confidence being shown in Bundy in Baltimore for a guy who just threw a career high of 109 innings in a season and has thrown a total of 280 innings over 5 seasons.

I'm more confident that Gausman will have a very good year than I am about Bundy.    But I think Bundy has the higher ceiling.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I'm more confident that Gausman will have a very good year than I am about Bundy.    But I think Bundy has the higher ceiling.  

I would argue Gausman had a very good year already in 2016, so it's fair to be more confident in him this season. I don't know if I would yet agree Bundy's ceiling is higher. It may be, but his peripherals certainly haven't shown it yet. I'm still not anywhere near confident he can stay healthy.

Archived