Hardy Already Dealing With Sore Back

Can_of_corn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Honestly, they may actually be better offensively with Johnson at 3B and Manny at SS. How much would the defense suffer? 

Johnson has been playing first base at the MLB level the last two seasons. Or DH. And he wasn't a great defensive third baseman even when he was younger.

Francisco wasn't even in baseball last year, and would be classified as an average to below average defender.

The best defensive alignment is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Manny at 3B and Hardy at SS. And I think offensively it'd be something of a push (best case scenario) because if Hardy went down I'd wager we'd see something of a Johnson/Flaherty platoon at 3B until JJ was back.

2 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

He could, but the infield defense would really take a hit.

I'd really have to take a closer look before committing to what I'm about to say, but I can't imagine Chris would be that much worse than Johnson or Francisco at this point in their careers.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I'd really have to take a closer look before committing to what I'm about to say, but I can't imagine Chris would be that much worse than Johnson or Francisco at this point in their careers.

He may not, but keep in mind you're moving a Gold Glove caliber guy from first and replacing him with a an average defender at best.

1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

He may not, but keep in mind you're moving a Gold Glove caliber guy from first and replacing him with a an average defender at best.

Trumbo's a solid 1B.

I only consider the move if Kim rotates to DH with Mancini and someone (Tavarez?) proves to be a plus defender in the OF that can also hit.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Trumbo's a solid 1B.

I only consider the move if Kim rotates to DH with Mancini and someone (Tavarez?) proves to be a plus defender in the OF that can also hit.

Solid is basically the same thing as average. First base is Trumbo's best position (except DH), but he's not nearly as good as Chris Davis. It's much easier to keep Davis at first and find a guy who can do the job at third.

Archived