Hardy Already Dealing With Sore Back

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Chris Johnson/Juan Francisco might have been part of Hardy insurance policy.   

Those signings make a lot more sense now as well as the fact that Manny is taking reps at short. If they are below average defenders at 3B, I wonder if the team would consider moving Davis back to 3rd for a bit, move Trumbo to first, and let Mancini DH. 

Davis wasn't very good the last time he played there, but he didn't get a full spring playing there either. He's not going to be Manny, but neither is Johnson or Francisco. Either way, we need to hope Hardy's back with be ok this year because he's the anchor of that defensive infield.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

Solid is basically the same thing as average. First base is Trumbo's best position (except DH), but he's not nearly as good as Chris Davis. It's much easier to keep Davis at first and find a guy who can do the job at third.

Metrics at first being what they are coming into last season I think I recall Trumbo rating slightly higher than Davis at first.  Obviously Davis had a very solid year at first last year and has probably pulled ahead. 

But I think it is fair to say that the drop off from Davis to Trumbo wouldn't hurt the team much at all.

13 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I'd really have to take a closer look before committing to what I'm about to say, but I can't imagine Chris would be that much worse than Johnson or Francisco at this point in their careers.

That's really the question. Johnson and Francisco aren't exactly known for their defense so it's hard to imagine Davis being much worse. I have to imagine Mancini would bring more offense than either of those two.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Those signings make a lot more sense now as well as the fact that Manny is taking reps at short. If they are below average defenders at 3B, I wonder if the team would consider moving Davis back to 3rd for a bit, move Trumbo to first, and let Mancini DH. 

Davis wasn't very good the last time he played there, but he didn't get a full spring playing there either. He's not going to be Manny, but neither is Johnson or Francisco. Either way, we need to hope Hardy's back with be ok this year because he's the anchor of that defensive infield.

Buck mentioned last year, when pressed about options at SS, he talked about Davis being fine at third, if it was a game emergency, and they would make a roster adjustment after the game, if necessary.

The thing with back problems, and Im an expert, they don't always act the same way, once hurt, its always there, and there is usually no warning for a flareup.

I think thats way Janish was kept at AAA for the past 2 seasons.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's really the question. Johnson and Francisco aren't exactly known for their defense so it's hard to imagine Davis being much worse. I have to imagine Mancini would bring more offense than either of those two.

How is Mancini at first?

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

OOPs, sorry.

Im in the minority, but I am find with Ryan at 3rd for a month or so, and hopefully not extended period.

I am too. Flash is a good 3Bman, I think he's a decent fill-in at SS too but we have Manny for that. I guess we'll see what Johnson or Francisco can do at 3B.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

OOPs, sorry.

Im in the minority, but I am find with Ryan at 3rd for a month or so, and hopefully not extended period.

I think I might prefer Janish at SS and Manny at 3B to Manny at SS and Flash at 3B.    Flaherty can probably hit better than Janish but the Janish/Manny defensive alignment is better than Manny/Flash.    So, I'd go sign Janish if I expected Hardy to miss significant time.   

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That 3 week period of the WBC is going to hurt, and I guess thats why so many bodies at AAA, this season. We also need somebody to play 2nd.

I don't think the WBC will hurt our readiness for the season.    There's plenty of time.    I just read an article saying that spring training is way longer than the position players need in order to get ready, and is really just for the benefit of the pitchers getting stretched out gradually.  

However, I guess I'll be seeing a lot of minor leaguers when I'm in Sarasota on March 11-18.    

Archived