Picking out the best player in baseball without stats

Frobby

Interesting question. I agree with a point made in the fourth section of the article that it depends how many games you got to watch, and how closely you payed attention. If you're not an astute observer, someone who could juggle a whole lot of small memories together at once without technically recording the stats, I think it'd be impossible to really pick out the best. Or even the best few. 

I'm sure players that had good clutch performances would get an advantage of perception.

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Interesting question. I agree with a point made in the fourth section of the article that it depends how many games you got to watch, and how closely you payed attention. If you're not an astute observer, someone who could juggle a whole lot of small memories together at once without technically recording the stats, I think it'd be impossible to really pick out the best. Or even the best few. 

I'm sure players that had good clutch performances would get an advantage of perception.

I think certain players whose play looks "effortless" would grade higher than their actual performance would indicate.

I think it would be very difficult, as a fan, to determine who the best player in baseball is without stats. You might be able to find the best player on your favorite team given enough time, but without consistent observation of other teams' players, it would be hard to tell given the random statistical variation of performance throughout a season. 

Now, someone that is a trained scout, who can judge things like swing mechanics would probably have a much easier time making accurate determinations with smaller sets of data. 

Archived