They All Break

weams

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

24 in December.  Yeah, still relatively young but you'd like a top prospect not making their debut at that age, especially someone drafted out of high school.

But you are right, definitely have to wonder if he'll ever be healthy enough.  I am sure @Luke-OHcan provide some insight as to body type for a pitcher, but to me the stick skinny guys just seem more prone to breaking down like this.  That's obviously not a hard and fast rule as there are plenty of skinny guys that have made it as pitchers.  But you look at a guy like Gray-Rod vs. Harvey...Grayson seems to be a bit more built for power pitching.  

I dunno, I'm talking out of my ass here but whatever.  

Two words - Dylan Bundy.

12 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Which is why I continue to be baffled why they are babied with pitch counts and innings limits.  How is that approach working out for everyone?

Russ Grimsely has said repeatedly on MASN radio, that they need to take the gloves off and let these guy pitch through their little aches and pains and even go back to the 4 man rotation.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Russ Grimsely has said repeatedly on MASN radio, that they need to take the gloves off and let these guy pitch through their little aches and pains and even go back to the 4 man rotation.

Ross once went 20-11 while striking out 2.9 per nine.  I wonder how that would play in today's game?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It's the old adage.  When you try to prevent getting hurt you end up getting injured.  Which is probably what we are going to see in the NFL this season with the ridiculous helmet rule.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ross once went 20-11 while striking out 2.9 per nine.  I wonder how that would play in today's game?

Heck of a nice guy. Got to sit and chat with him over at Dempseys with Roy one night. Very casual guy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

24 in December.  Yeah, still relatively young but you'd like a top prospect not making their debut at that age, especially someone drafted out of high school.

But you are right, definitely have to wonder if he'll ever be healthy enough.  I am sure @Luke-OHcan provide some insight as to body type for a pitcher, but to me the stick skinny guys just seem more prone to breaking down like this.  That's obviously not a hard and fast rule as there are plenty of skinny guys that have made it as pitchers.  But you look at a guy like Gray-Rod vs. Harvey...Grayson seems to be a bit more built for power pitching.  

I dunno, I'm talking out of my ass here but whatever.  

There are so many factors. Harvey was a stick when drafted but has filled out nicely but that obviously hasn’t stopped him from getting hurt again.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There are so many factors. Harvey was a stick when drafted but has filled out nicely but that obviously hasn’t stopped him from getting hurt again.

You can't build up the arm ligaments.

As long as guys are putting so much stress on their arms they are going to break down.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't build up the arm ligaments.

As long as guys are putting so much stress on their arms they are going to break down.

You can build up ligament strength, it just takes a long long time. 

I wasn’t talking about ligaments though, I was talking about strengthening the rest of the body in order to create velocity with less arm stress.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You can build up ligament strength, it just takes a long long time. 

I wasn’t talking about ligaments though, I was talking about strengthening the rest of the body in order to create velocity with less arm stress.

I'd be interested reading any layman level sources you might have.