Is Dan going in the wrong direction with aging players?

wildcard

41 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the Orioles will out perform the Pirates once again this season.  And next. 

Maybe so (although they're 2-2 over the last four). But the smart money would be on the Pirates beyond 2018. They're loaded with young talent in the majors and the minors.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have a narrow path to remaining a contender after 2018, but it's not impossible.    It probably hinges on Gausman and Bundy both becoming top tier starters and a few other good outcomes for young players.   

It's March, and for now I'm just focused on 2017.    I think this team has the potential to be better than last year's -- or not.    I'm looking forward to watching how things unfold.  

That's just it. Everything has to go right. And that's not likely. Gausman and Bundy are a good start, but they need more. But, like you, I'll enjoy seeing how this year unfolds. Hopefully at least things will go right for 2017.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm equally old (actually, older?) and though I've really enjoyed the last five years, now I'd need a deeper playoff run to be really satisfied.    It's all a matter of degree, though.   

And by the way, I'm planning on having a personal window of another 25-30 years.   

You are obviously of very healthy stock. And personal habits. 

19 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Umlike you I am incapable of reading either Buck or Dan's mind. However if one or both had ideas about staying on I think we would have seen more emphasis on building the farm system. My guess is they are here to the end of their contracts and the rebuilding will start when they are gone.

Well maybe.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2017 at 7:50 AM, Frobby said:

If Dan is going in the wrong direction, it has to do with longer term issues like signing Chris Davis through his age 36 season and not doing enough to build up the farm system and bring young players up that way.    I'm not concerned about the age of the players he's acquired who are only here for 2017.    None of them are so old that there's a reason to expect some precipitous decline in 2017, and in several cases, they're here on minor league deals -- it's not like they've brought in Derrek Lee and Vlad Guerrero for large sums late in their career.

I knew Duquette had a hand in those deals!

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I knew Duquette had a hand in those deals!

I didn’t mean to suggest he had.    Generally, Dan has avoided signing guys past about age 34.    The notable exceptions are O’Day and Davis, both signed through age 36.    

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

No, but it is his fault for not recognizing that Macnini could be the DH, and thus signing Trumbo.

Its obvious now, that Macini is not a one trick pony.

Its also not clear that DD authorized the Trumbo signing. It probably came down from Peter.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t mean to suggest he had.    Generally, Dan has avoided signing guys past about age 34.    The notable exceptions are O’Day and Davis, both signed through age 36.    

I know. Just riffing on the ‘everything is Dan’s fault’ crowd. I’m sure he would have made those deals.

:rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

51 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

No, but it is his fault for not recognizing that Macnini could be the DH, and thus signing Trumbo.

However, this is also true.

44 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't see what age has to do with anything.  Young guys are under team control. If you want to acquire them you have to give up other players to get them.  

Youth is the elixir of all things physical. 

Archived