Adam "Real American Hero" Jones

ChuckS

On 3/19/2017 at 1:11 AM, ChuckS said:

I'll remember that moment at approximately 1:00 PM EST for the rest of my life.  

Chills down the spine.  

Anyone who doesn't like the WBC.....doesn't like baseball.  Passion, energy, pride.  How can you not love it?

Are the teams filled with star players who don't play in the MLB? If not whats the point? We have 162 games of the Orioles. It makes sense with Soccer World Cup as star players are spread across different leagues.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, cimota said:

Are the teams filled with star players who don't play in the MLB? If not whats the point? We have 162 games of the Orioles. It makes sense with Soccer World Cup as star players are spread across different leagues.

Some people enjoy watching baseball. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/fan_forum/podcasts/index.jsp?c_id=mlb&podcast=statcast_podcast

Statcast breaks down Jones' catch.

Be prepared to be a bit annoyed.  (Catch probability was very high)

Interesting data.  Jones was tied for shallowest CF last season (307 ft)

Was at 321 feet for this play (ninth deepest starting point for him on a PO over the last two years).

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

http://mlb.mlb.com/fan_forum/podcasts/index.jsp?c_id=mlb&podcast=statcast_podcast

Was at 321 feet for this play (ninth deepest starting point for him on a PO over the last two years).

I've pointed this out before, but I think if Adam played a few steps back he could go back to being one of the better defensive CFers in the game.  He needs to play consistently at about 315-320 IMO unless there is some slap hitter up there. 

Ever see how deep Kiermaier and Pillar play?  Real deep.  And they are as good as it gets.  It's not just the balls over your head.  You can take a much better angle on a ball in the gap when you are playing deep. 

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I've pointed this out before, but I think if Adam played a few steps back he could go back to being one of the better defensive CFers in the game.  He needs to play consistently at about 315-320 IMO unless there is some slap hitter up there. 

Ever see how deep Kiermaier and Pillar play?  Real deep.  And they are as good as it gets.  It's not just the balls over your head.  You can take a much better angle on a ball in the gap when you are playing deep. 

One of the two former MLB outfielders they talk to in the podcast said that his pitchers asked for him to play in.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One of the two former MLB outfielders they talk to in the podcast said that his pitchers asked for him to play in.

I think the old school way of thinking on good center fielders was that the best/fastest played way in.  That's changing now, I'm sure in part to advanced data being available.  

6 hours ago, cimota said:

The players obviously like the opportunity to play for their country and the fans like to be able to cheer for their country. It's pretty cool to see how much players of non american descent impact the MLB. Plus the Classic has gotten better every year, more participation and support. Excited to see it down the road.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It bears out what I said earlier in the thread -- I've seen Jones make better catches at the wall than that one.    At the same time, the discussion illuminates that "catch probability" still has flaws.   There's no way that ball is caught 93% of the time, even considering that Jones was playing Manny deep.   Having a wall and fans grabbing for the ball adds dimensions that Statcast hasn't captured yet.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It bears out what I said earlier in the thread -- I've seen Jones make better catches at the wall than that one.    At the same time, the discussion illuminates that "catch probability" still has flaws.   There's no way that ball is caught 93% of the time, even considering that Jones was playing Manny deep.   Having a wall and fans grabbing for the ball adds dimensions that Statcast hasn't captured yet.   

They seemed confident they could account for the wall eventually.  The fans are a different story.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They seemed confident they could account for the wall eventually.  The fans are a different story.

There are several factors:

1.   Height of the wall.

2.   Position of the ball in relation to the wall.

3.   Position of the fans in relation to the ball and wall.

4.   Aggressiveness of the fans in the spot where the ball is hit.

On this one, if the wall had been 10 feet high instead of 6 feet, I don't think the fans would have been a factor.    

• 2 weeks later...

Jones 2 out walk yesterday was a huge turning point in the game. Usually, he chases the low and away slider and the borderline on the edge fastball. Great job being patient and allowing Machado to come to the plate who of course mashed a 3 run shot.

Would be thrilled if the O's get a more patient Jones this year. He will be more dangerous as will the offense as a whole.

1 hour ago, O's are Legends said:

Jones 2 out walk yesterday was a huge turning point in the game. Usually, he chases the low and away slider and the borderline on the edge fastball. Great job being patient and allowing Machado to come to the plate who of course mashed a 3 run shot.

Would be thrilled if the O's get a more patient Jones this year. He will be more dangerous as will the offense as a whole.

HUGE walk. Especially after the 2-0 pitch. 

Archived