Wieters at First Base

AVencill

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much you want to bet that wasn't Hebner's decision on his second day on the job? :D

Sounds like an organizational decision to find him more ways to get at bats instead of just DHing. If he can play 1st base effectively, it'll allow him more days off from behind the plate. Maybe that will enable him to not take last longer througout the year.

Interesting though...

How much you want to bet that wasn't Hebner's decision on his second day on the job? :D

Sounds like an organizational decision to find him more ways to get at bats instead of just DHing. If he can play 1st base effectively, it'll allow him more days off from behind the plate. Maybe that will enable him to not take last longer througout the year.

Interesting though...

I agree....Victor Martinez always gets 20+ games at first for the Indians...Now, he isn't quite as good defensively as Wieters is but still, anytime you can find ways to keep a good catcher's bat in the lineup and not have him behind the plate all the time is a good thing.

Could extend his career as a catcher an extra year or 2 in the long run.

I agree with Tony on this one. I severely doubt they are looking to shift his to first base on a more permanent basis yet. Last week I ran some number on my blog and he would have to either crush the ball or be incredibly fragile behind the plate for a permanent shift to make sense.

Could it be possible that the O's are targeting posey with the 4th pick and want to rotate weiters and posey between 1st and catcher to limit the wear on their bodies? I't be a perfect strategy so that DT can keep his 13 man pitching staff.

I agree....Victor Martinez always gets 20+ games at first for the Indians...Now, he isn't quite as good defensively as Wieters is but still, anytime you can find ways to keep a good catcher's bat in the lineup and not have him behind the plate all the time is a good thing.

Could extend his career as a catcher an extra year or 2 in the long run.

Speaking of Victor Martinez...go give me your opinion in the Fantasy Baseball thread...:D

Could it be possible that the O's are targeting posey with the 4th pick and want to rotate weiters and posey between 1st and catcher to limit the wear on their bodies? I't be a perfect strategy so that DT can keep his 13 man pitching staff.

Yes, didn't you all know that Stotle is actually Andy McPhail? :laughlol:

It is possible, but they would have to be really sold on Wieters bat to do that.

I was waiting for this.

Soon to follow... 10 pages of Buster Posey discussion. :rolleyestf:

Wieters did not play 1st base today. Vinyard played first and Weiters was the DH... I was confused while listening to the game over the radio and then viewing the recap so I just spoke with one of the players and they told me this. No idea how that was screwed up, but there you have it!

tell you what, I love that idea.

Archived