Any concern about Hardy?

Going Underground

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't ask?

I'm shocked, just shocked.

That is so surprising that the local media wouldn't try and hold Buck accountable for questionable in game decisions.

No one wants to hear Buck explain his decisions as if he sees a different game than simple reporters do. Buck thinks A Beautiful Mind should have been made about him, I heard him call John Nash big league sad. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Hardy's glove at SS if we score.

Ok, well we didn't score, and we lost the game.  Not many worse outcomes than that.  Let's say we tie it.  I think you can get by for a few innings with Chris Davis at 3B and shifting Flash up to SS.  It's rough defensively, but you still have a chance to win.  

8 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Once again, Hardy is allowed to bat when we're down in the ninth inning.  This time, it was with 2 OUTS against a RIGHT HANDED pitcher, for crying out loud.  For God's sake, Buck, what on Earth do you have to lose by pinch hitting Kim for Hardy in that situation?!?  

Manny being hurt probably played a part in not taking Hardy out of the lineup.   Who replaces him?  Flaherty is already in the lineup.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:12 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Yep Davis will end up being the worst, but he is at least at present an above replacement level player. Should get a lot more for 21 million but then the O's are the only team that would have given anything close to that salary

I would take his production last year from my SS every year. Yes, his HR's are down, but he still OPSed 716, which is not too bad considering he'd be our worst regular by a pretty wide margin. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't ask?

I'm shocked, just shocked.

That is so surprising that the local media wouldn't try and hold Buck accountable for questionable in game decisions.

Buck said Kim was on deck to PH for smith. They didn't have to ask.  It was early on in the interview. 

Another point  who is this savior at SS for us?

Paul Janish?  Hardy looks younger than him and is way better.  

Giovetella?  Easy out Johnny that can only play 2nd base 

Move Machado to SS?  Trade the farm for a 3B that isn't available?  

Whats our record without JJ since 2012?  I know it's bad.  The extension isn't that bad.  I know I know, everyone wants to try and win with Brendan Ryan and Darwin Barney.  Why stop there?  Let's call up Freddie Bynum.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Buck said Kim was on deck to PH for smith. They didn't have to ask.  It was early on in the interview. 

Whats our record without JJ since 2012?  I know it's bad.  The extension isn't that bad.  I know I know, everyone wants to try and win with Brendan Ryan and Darwin Barney.  Why stop there?  Let's call up Freddie Bynum.  

So your argument of why we trot out every day a player with a 40 OPS+ is that we can't do better?

And yet every other ML team does better

Oh well... I guess we give up... never improve

Let's extend Hardy to his age 50 season and pay him 25 million a year... what else could we possibly do?

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

So your argument of why we trot out every day a player with a 40 OPS+ is that we can't do better?

And yet every other ML team does better

Oh well... I guess we give up... never improve

Let's extend Hardy to his age 50 season and pay him 25 million a year... what else could we possibly do?

Oh come on! Don't exaggerate. Escobar for KC has a lower OPS, so Hardy isn't the worst hitting shortstop in MLB. :):)

I think options were limited. Smith eye problem. Machado banged up. Flaherty banged up. They scored enough runs but pitching has not been good.

Ryan Flaherty wore an ice pack on his right shoulder before and after the game.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/05/orioles-trying-to-heal-from-brutal-road-trip.html

Hardy raised his OPS 100 points from where he was after playing 36 games last year.    That still wouldn't put him in a good spot, but it's wrong to think Hardy is certain not to hit any better as the year goes along.   

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd have let JJ walk for the pick.  Hopefully the Yankees would have bit on him as a Jeter replacement and the O's could have picked up Didi instead of the Yanks.

Now that the O's don't have payroll room or much of a farm system the choices are obviously limited.

And I can't agree with a plan to pinch hit for the fourth batter in the inning when you have the murdered row hitting 1,2,3 in front of him.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Hardy raised his OPS 100 points from where he was after playing 36 games last year.    That still wouldn't put him in a good spot, but it's wrong to think Hardy is certain not to hit any better as the year goes along.   

Gosh yes, I would hope Hardy would improve some over where he is now.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd have let JJ walk for the pick.  Hopefully the Yankees would have bit on him as a Jeter replacement and the O's could have picked up Didi instead of the Yanks.

Now that the O's don't have payroll room or much of a farm system the choices are obviously limited.

And I can't agree with a plan to pinch hit for the fourth batter in the inning when you have the murdered row hitting 1,2,3 in front of him.

Funny I had also always wondered the same thing. We signed a 32 yo middle infielder to a 3 year extension, and then the Yanks picked up a promising early 20 something SS  for Shane Green. I had wanted Didi for the O's

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Funny I had also always wondered the same thing. We signed a 32 yo middle infielder to a 3 year extension, and then the Yanks picked up a promising early 20 something SS  for Shane Green. I had wanted Didi for the O's

This is very off topic, but I am trying to understand Didi's stats.  His highest WAR to date (3.1) was 2015. This was when his .688 OPS translated into a 2.6 oWAR and he had a 1.4 dWAR (I know they don't equal WAR).  My memory was that he looked shell shocked in the field for most of 2015, but 2015 has been his career sabermetric defensive year so far.  In 2016 he had a -0.1 dWAR. Is my memory off? 

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I think options were limited. Smith eye problem. Machado banged up. Flaherty banged up. They scored enough runs but pitching has not been good.

Ryan Flaherty wore an ice pack on his right shoulder before and after the game.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/05/orioles-trying-to-heal-from-brutal-road-trip.html

Unfortunately he also wore an Orioles uniform during the game. 

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

And they were willing to pay Castro. That would have been a nice addition. 

Archived