Maybe It's Just Me, But Does It Seem Like We Always Let The Yankees Off The Hook?

ORIOLE33

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess they let us off the hook the first two games when we came back. I understand what you are saying, but it's baseball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains.

Sometimes Zach Britton is unavailable, and sometimes you wait too long to use him.

20 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I could be wrong, but damn, it seems like we've had this team on the ropes quite a few times to only let them steal the last game of a series. 

I know it's early, but I really wanted this sweep.

I just happy the O's won the series.

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I could be wrong, but damn, it seems like we've had this team on the ropes quite a few times to only let them steal the last game of a series. 

I know it's early, but I really wanted this sweep.

o

Aside from the fact that I completely agree with Tony-OH's post, this is a reminder of the fates of the Orioles and the Yankees from the 2016 season.

If anybody should be feeling like it's Bill Murray's Groundhog Day, it's Yankee fans, nor Orioles fans.

1) ) The Orioles beat the Yankees on the final game of the 2016 season.

2) ) The Orioles won the final series of the 2016 season against the Yankees, 2 games to 1.

3) ) The Orioles won the overall 2016 season series against the Yankees, 10 games to 9.

4) ) The Orioles knocked the Yankees out of the 2016 post-season with a 4-0 shutout of the Blue Jays on September 29th.

5) ll The Yankees DID NOT knock the Orioles out of the post-season in the final series of the 2016 season, when they had a chance to.

o

49 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It's just you.

6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Lol ... I was expecting that. Happens on every site.

o

What happens on every site ???

A person starts a "Woe is Me/Us" thread that isn't based in reality, and then is reminded why by several other posters ???

o

I still remember 2007, when we won each of the first four series against the Yankees to take an 8-4 lead in the season series, only to lose 5 of the final 6 and end up with a 9-9 series tie.    I wanted to win that season series so badly!     We've now won the season series with NY three years in a row, but before that it had been some unconscionable number of years since we'd beaten them for the year.  

I know the feeling, but we have come back to win a few games already this year, including the Yankees series. It probably felt to their fines like the other teams were letting us off the hook. These guys are professional baseball players, and they are going to keep coming at us for 9 innings every game for 162 games. They are not going to just roll over because we got the first two.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess they let us off the hook the first two games when we came back. I understand what you are saying, but it's baseball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains.

Your right Tony...We're all gonna have to learn our clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time." ;

Michael Pineda had a perfect game through 6 and just lost it in the 7th inning on precisely the first pitch I saw after tuning into the game.  This is the 2nd straight "perfect game alert" that I tuned into at exactly the pitch that spoiled it, the previous being the 27th batter (with 2 strikes) being hit by a pitch from Max Scherzer a couple years ago.

I don't think its just he Yankees.  Its the way Buck manages and I am not saying he wrong to do what he does. 

1) Buck protects his guys in the pen by very rarely letting them pitch in three straight games.  That can mean that its harder to sweep without the best the O's have.

2) Sunday's which are often day games after night games see Buck playing the bench player more than the rest of the week.  That can also make is hard to sweep.

But Buck is protecting his players for the long haul by the way he manages. And he has proven to be right more times than not.

Archived