Wright lit up yet again..can we move him to the bp already?

Rene88

3 hours ago, Crazysilver03 said:

It is amazing how incredibly condescending you can be to anyone that doesn't agree with one of your opinions, especially to a poster you gloat and kiss up to when they do agree with one of your opinions.

Frobby is always respectful and a gentleman. Even if I don't agree, I respect his viewpoints.

You are just obnoxious.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Is one of them your friend's mom who knows Elway and swears the Broncos are signing Romo?

Funny you bring that up-the day of the Romo announcement, that person was sticking by that story still. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Probably couldn't hurt to try but I would have low expectations either way. Myself, I would just enjoy my trip to Fiji rather than go through the pain of watching Mike Wright throw the baseball.

Lol-that's funny. Yeah-no live tv here and gotta say, do miss some baseball.

Hey, did you guys know Rene88 is on vacation in Fiji? Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it the other 37 times he mentioned it.

As for Wright, I actually agree. I still don't have much faith that he'll pan out either way, but I think the starting experiment needs to end.

I would have rather seen what Gunkel had than Wright. The organization obviously didn't see it, but then again, the O's are painstakingly bad at picking which SP prospects to keep. A great comment I read by a writer at Camden Depot:

"Where the great difficulties come in for acquisition is that the club is turning over first round picks in order to sign free agents. The puts a greater dependence on lower round picks, which have in turn been steadily traded to support an MLB club in contention. Complicating matters is that the Orioles almost completely refuse to meaningfully act in the international market. They routinely spend the least on international amateurs every year, which stretches back into the MacPhail era. Compared to other clubs, this is particularly seen with lack of athleticism in middle infield and a lack of high velocity arms in the low minors.

Then you have development issues. You had Peterson around, who no one in development liked and often his teaching was different from pitching coaches at the affiliate. Add to that, Brady Anderson would come around and have other ideas. It was a pretty chaotic situation and still is for a pitcher. They deal with instability in year and then have to deal with changes in the off season and at the next level. Part of the inconsistency is due to how well each instructor listens to the front office (whose voice is not always in unison) and Buck's staff, who often act separate from the rest of the group.

It is a bit of a mess and you see that when pitchers leave. A common refrain is how refreshingly stable instruction is when you leave the organization. DeOriole is becoming a verb. So when you see a guy like Brault, Hader, or Davies do well elsewhere, it is difficult to think they would do well here. Davies is a major example of someone who was quickly reconfigured to become workable. When that trade went down, it greatly surprised several execs who have no idea why the Orioles did that. Eh."

Davies seems an odd example for Camden Depot to cite. He thrived at every level of our organization.   He's certainly not someone who needed to be fixed after he was traded.    I'd say that about Hader, too; he was thriving when he was traded, though not as far along as Davies.  

16 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I tried to watch someone of it here in Fiji but connection too slow.

Zach Stewart also bombed.

Something is not right in Norfolk. New pitching coach there or same?

Regardless, Wright needs to move to the bp. He is about as much fun to watch as Ubaldo.

Let's move him to another organization instead.  With his make up, he'll not be successful in the majors, imo.

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

I would have rather seen what Gunkel had than Wright. The organization obviously didn't see it, but then again, the O's are painstakingly bad at picking which SP prospects to keep. A great comment I read by a writer at Camden Depot:

"Where the great difficulties come in for acquisition is that the club is turning over first round picks in order to sign free agents. The puts a greater dependence on lower round picks, which have in turn been steadily traded to support an MLB club in contention. Complicating matters is that the Orioles almost completely refuse to meaningfully act in the international market. They routinely spend the least on international amateurs every year, which stretches back into the MacPhail era. Compared to other clubs, this is particularly seen with lack of athleticism in middle infield and a lack of high velocity arms in the low minors.

Then you have development issues. You had Peterson around, who no one in development liked and often his teaching was different from pitching coaches at the affiliate. Add to that, Brady Anderson would come around and have other ideas. It was a pretty chaotic situation and still is for a pitcher. They deal with instability in year and then have to deal with changes in the off season and at the next level. Part of the inconsistency is due to how well each instructor listens to the front office (whose voice is not always in unison) and Buck's staff, who often act separate from the rest of the group.

It is a bit of a mess and you see that when pitchers leave. A common refrain is how refreshingly stable instruction is when you leave the organization. DeOriole is becoming a verb. So when you see a guy like Brault, Hader, or Davies do well elsewhere, it is difficult to think they would do well here. Davies is a major example of someone who was quickly reconfigured to become workable. When that trade went down, it greatly surprised several execs who have no idea why the Orioles did that. Eh."

I'm guessing you are close to the situation because there is a lot of things right in this post. I don't agree that Davies needed to be fixed, but certainly agree about the trade being terrible and hard to understand.

As for Wright, I think he definitely a guy you put in the pen and see how he looks in that role. The raw stuff is in their. The command and consistency have rarely been there and sometimes that's what a conversion to relief fixes. 

15 hours ago, ChuckS said:

We don't know how good he can be as a reliever.  He was throwing high 90's and very dominant in one inning stints in Spring Training two years ago but he hasn't really been given a chance since, neither in the minors or with the big league club.  

Getting him to the bullpen may simplify things for him.  Keep it an easy 1-2 (fastball/slider) and let him rip.  I think he has a chance to a be a good reliever.  

This organization seems to be like to draw the inevitable out: Whether it's keeping Wright as a starter, not giving Mancini opportunities in the OF in Norfolk when he's blocked at first base, or keeping their top prospects at positions they will never be able to play at the major league level (Mountcastle, Reyes).  I would like to see a little more decisiveness.  

A couple ST stints 2 years ago? Can you pick any smaller sample size?

onoz_omg.gif

Archived