Chance Sisco: 'I'll Be Ready' When Orioles Call

PressBoxOnline

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

27 years is the average age of AAA players.
How much higher is the rate of stolen base attempts in AAA than in MLB?

IL: .88 attempts per game, 68% success rate

AL: .73 attempts per game, 74% success rate

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

IL: .88 attempts per game, 68% success rate

AL: .73 attempts per game, 74% success rate

I would be curious to know the attempts per game last postseason.  Even we attempted one in the wildcard game after barely running all year, and anecdotally, it felt like teams ran more in the playoffs.  The Nationals were 8-for-9 in their 5 game series loss to the Dodgers, even vs. Grandal, who was above average during the regular season.  And the 7 game World Series had 15 attempts (8/1 Cubs, 4/2 Indians).

I have a notion that running wild can be a short term scoring boost, the offset risk is the health of your players.  I also think like trick plays in football, playoff teams don't want to reveal strenghts or highlight weaknesses they know about until they have to.  This month, I believe the Indians, Astros, Nationals and Dodgers are just running the ball up the middle.  I imagine somewhere analysts for those teams are comparing their batters sprint speeds with likely playoff opponent battery's control times and looking for free bases.

The nice thing for Sisco prospectively, is regular season mode is safer if there's anything to this.  There could be a cat and mouse game if the arm plays as badly as some fear, but we really won't know until he gets in.  I remember part of the end of the line for Hoiles was every walk was a double - he faced 125 attempts in 83 catcher games his last year, and got just 22%.

A few comments on Sisco's defense from BA:

Sisco only began catching his senior year of high school and underwent a steep learning curve in pro ball. He is athletic but had to learn the basics of receiving, blocking, and game-calling. It took time, but Sisco slowly made strides and progressively got better. He's allowed the fewest passed balls on a per game basis this year than any season of his career, with evaluators noting his hands are adequate and his blocking and receiving have improved. Sisco's main issue is throwing. He has average arm strength, but it plays down because poor footwork and an inconsistent release point that result in too many throws in the dirt and off-line. His 23 percent caught stealing rate this year, a below-average mark, is a career high.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/what-to-expect-chance-sisco/#71SeXdm8ymxrSkUR.99

I think this confirms what we've heard elsewhere.     My main takeaway is that the non-throwing elements of Sisco's defense sound fine, and that there is still hope for improved throwing with improved footwork.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 2:24 PM, PressBoxOnline said:

Orioles prospect Chance Sisco is projected to reach the Majors this season, and the 22-year-old is confident that he can emerge as a consistent Big League catcher.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/04/12/orioles-prospect-chance-sisco-ill-be-ready-when-orioles-call

On 9/1/2017 at 9:48 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(19 WEEKS LATER)

The Orioles have called.

Sisco has previously asserted that he will be ready at said time.

o

o

(vs. YANKEES, 9/14)

NUMBER 1

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

o

It's Sisco, not Cisco.  Is this going to become the next generation Weiters/Wieters misspelling debacle?  Regardless, I'm impressed with that swing.  He just has that "hitterish" look to him.  Looks very calm and relaxed up there.  Definitely bodes well for the future.

Santander came so close to hitting one out too, but missed by just a hair.  That would have been a great moment, seeing the kids go back to back.  Despite the 2 strikeouts, Santander looks like he's going to be a good hitter too as he gets adjusted to big league pitching over time.

I also think Austin Hays is going to be a good player over time, but it probably would help to get a little more seasoning in AAA to start next season, unless he absolutely tears it up in spring training.  He just has "ball player" written all over him.

And there goes the worries that Sisco was a Kim or Urrutia type hitter. Could Davis had turned on that inside FB?  

There's 15 games left. I think we should see Sisco play at C or DH, in at least 10 of those. Same thing with Hays. Stick him in RF. 

Smith and Trumbo have had all year to play. Now it should be about finding what the young guys can. 

Archived