Jake Ring: 12 for his last 17

Frobby

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As for Ring, I hate to say it, but it's almost too good to be true.    How does a guy who is a 31st round pick, who barely scraped by in the GCL as a 22 year old, do this?    I'm amazed but happily so.    

Well, basically, he had a good five games.   He was hitting .190 as of April 12, and since then has gone 14 for 20 (he was 2 for 3 with a homer and a walk last night).   It's enjoyable to see a guy get that hot, but let me know how he's doing at the end of May before I get too excited.   

For the record, OPS now up to 1.391 after yesterday's game.

I can shed some light...If you look at the Amateur draft discussion on Ring, he was given 100 grand at the 31st slot, which is unusual.  It is surprising he fell so far considering where some of the other outfielders in the SEC got drafted.  Ring's offense isn't even his best attribute.  I watched him play in the Gulf Coast League and his defense is second to none.  I read in his player of the week article, that he has already "hosed" two runners out also from right field.  I get why they have Mckenna playing center field, because he was a 4th round pick and he is younger, but Ring is a better center fielder.  In fact, I'll go as far as to say Ring is the best defensive center fielder in the Orioles farm system.  Also you have to remember, a guy like Ring played a college season, then had to play hot summer day games every day in the Gulf Coast League last year. I wouldn't be surprised if a little fatigue played in on him at the end.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You're right.   It's only 5 games.   I might go better than "a good 5 games" though.    A very high rate of extra base hits as well.

OK, "a ridiculously good 5 games."  (.700/.739/1.350)   I'd venture to say that we might not see another five-game streak that good from anyone in the organization the rest of the year (Mullins hit .545/.583/1.091 in his first five games of the year).

53 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

No idea whether Ring is any type of prospect.... but in my mind he has already passed DJ Stewart (the zero tools first round pick).

It's amazing how you can find a dark cloud behind any silver lining.  

The GCL is not a real easy league to hit in.  He also still put up a .365 OBP there so I wouldn't say he just scrapped by.  He was second in most offensive categories behind Seamus Curran (who should be swapped for Palmeiro IMO). The power is nice to see and a bit of a surprise.

If he's still doing this in May he needs to be promoted to Frederick.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Chuck,  a 22 year old starter from a major college program should rake in that league.   There is a lot of raw teenage prospects right out of HS in that league.  The parks are big but it should be easy to put up numbers otherwise.      The fact that Billingsley went to Aberdeen and Ring went to the GCL led me to believe that Ring wasn't much more than organizational filler.   However, the news that he got 100K and his current stats certainly make it look better than that.  We'll see.    As you know, the difference in competition from the GCL to the SAL is huge.

I'm not saying it's not a jump in competition but there are other things to consider about his time at the GCL:  Mainly small sample size and the swirling winds in the GCL parks.  Very few guys hit (well) in that league. He was also coming off of a full college season.  

I don't think that just because someone doesn't put up huge numbers in one of those rookie leagues means he can't get it done in full season ball the following year.  

As for why he started in GCL rather than Aberdeen, he was drafted in Round 31.  Don't think that means they thought he couldn't play, but there were other guys ahead of him slated for Aberdeen.  First round picks bust all the time and sometimes late round picks become a nugget.  We could have one here.  

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ring was the only 2016 draftee to make it to Delmarva last year, be it the end of the year.  Have to agree with Chuck, teams have different ways and thoughts of where a player may be best suited for his development.  Maybe they wanted Ring to play every day and play center field, who really knows........... 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The GCL is not a real easy league to hit in.  He also still put up a .365 OBP there so I wouldn't say he just scrapped by.  He was second in most offensive categories behind Seamus Curran (who should be swapped for Palmeiro IMO). The power is nice to see and a bit of a surprise.

If he's still doing this in May he needs to be promoted to Frederick.  

Pretty sure he won't be "doing this" in May.   But if his OPS is still above .850 by the end of May, it may well be worthwhile to promote him.   Notably, Frederick has two outfielders who are doing well, but the other OF's aren't hitting a lick.

Archived