Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

We saw with Markakis and we're seeing with Jones that adjusting to the ML level doesn't happen overnight (unless you are a Bruce like phenom). Why not get him up in July or August and give him a few months at the MLB level so that hopefully he's ready to play well from the start in 2k9?

Why do this? How about we just let these guys develop in the years we plan to compete...That way, we can wait until 2012 till we can contend! :rolleyes:

Again, I ask...Do people want to win anytime soon?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are right, but it is a small sample size

Scott is 4 for 25 with 0 home runs and 6 k's

Huff is 12 for 59 with 1 home run and 12 k's

However, I think if you ran them both out there in the same number of at bats the difference would be negligible in my opinion.

Right...Even looking at this year is absurd...Scott has the track record...Huff really doesn't, at least not in the last several years.

Right...Even looking at this year is absurd...Scott has the track record...Huff really doesn't, at least not in the last several years.

Yeah your right there too, I just think at this stage in their careers, the results would be almost the same. Thats all I am saying, I see them as very, very similar hitters, based on what I have seen out of Scott this year.

Yeah your right there too, I just think at this stage in their careers, the results would be almost the same. Thats all I am saying, I see them as very, very similar hitters, based on what I have seen out of Scott this year.

Scott has more power and better plate discipline...His OPS should end up around 80-100 points better this year.

They may have a similar BA but the similarities end there.

You think somebody hitting .280 with 15 homers is a great prospect. That's mediocre.

Mediocre!? Have you looked at our current roster?

He will need a lot of care and feeding to make it.

He's in his mid-twenties! I wonder if some of you would be happy for him to stay in AA for the next three or four years.

Hmm, and how does Reimold's performance compare to Wieter's who is a great prospect. Yes I know about OPS and OBP. If you look at historical OPS Troy Glaus ranks about 67th, Trot Nixon 74th,and Cal Ripken ranks 296. Do you really think Troy Glaus and Trot Nixon are that much better than Ripken. Ranking based on a database which appeared on here a couple of years ago, containing 1760 players. I don't know the years but it looks like back to somewhere in the late 60's.

Well, we are not in disagreement here. I am only saying that it is better to err on the side of caution and not rush these guys to the ML. Certainly they should be promoted to the next level. But I think the argument that they should be promoted immediately to the ML, is as SG would say, beyond a joke. As is the argument that there is no such thing as promoting a player before he is ready or that if done so it can't be harrmful to his develpopment. From now on I will refrain from such offensive terms as "moronic drivel" and stick to "beyond a joke" since that seems to be the acceptable form of ridicule for an opinion that you don't agree with.

Valid point, while what you said probably shouldn't have been said, it's not any worse than what is said on here frequently, including a poster that 1970 is agreeing with.

This isn't a shot at 1970 as I agree with him a lot and think he adds a lot to this board. I'm just confused as to why he decided to scold El Gordo when it's hardly rare.

Hmm, and how does Reimold's performance compare to Wieter's who is a great prospect. Yes I know about OPS and OBP. If you look at historical OPS Troy Glaus ranks about 67th, Trot Nixon 74th,and Cal Ripken ranks 296. Do you really think Troy Glaus and Trot Nixon are that much better than Ripken.

Garth Brooks and Shania Twain are the biggest-selling solo artists ever, while Beethoven isn't likely in the top thousand. Do you really think the former two are that much better then the latter?

Do you get the point?

Garth Brooks and Shania Twain are the biggest-selling solo artists ever, while Beethoven isn't likely in the top thousand. Do you really think the former two are that much better then the latter?

Do you get the point?

The sad fact is many more people would prefer Garth Brooks and Shania Twain, but we both know that neither were vey good SS's.

This thread is quickly jumping the shark. Between the piling on, the name calling, and the complete lack of willingness for people to understand that a good case can be made to bring to Reimold up, and a good case can be made to have him get some more experience.

My issue is not that he isnt on the ML club right now, I'm still kinda scratching my head about why he hasnt been in Norfolk though, IMO he should have been there to start the season. We probably wouldnt be having 3 different threads about why hes in the minors still if he'd already gotten 200ish AB's in AAA to start the season.

There is a lot of over-reacting when it comes to this topic, and I'm not sure just how much of a difference its going to make if Reimold comes up now, or in July or August in the grand scheme of things. Sure, we'd like him to get some ML at bats for experience, but people are acting like the hope's of our future are riding on Reimold having to be a full time starter in the ML's now.

The one issue here that everyone is overlooking is the 40-man roster. We stocked our minor league system and if we start adding players to the 40-man we risk losing some of our guys in the rule V. The thing with people like Millar and Payton is that they will be off of the 40-man after this season, but when promoting guys care needs to be taken.

I'm not saying this is the deciding issue if Reimold should be promoted. Obviously if he continues on his current tear he forces the Orioles hand to promote him despite any roster issues. And this doesn't prevent them from promoting him to triple A. But at the same time, let's not overlook it either.

How would we feel if we lost one of our guys in the rule V to promote someone who wasn't really ready to be promoted?

Here is my point on Reimold. At some point you have to find out if you have something or not. He's almost 25. The O's need to start showing some progress in the W/L record in 2009 and compete in 2010. We need to know if a soon to be 25 year old is in the plan. Many good teams have talented 22-24 year old on their ML rosters. If Nolan at 25 does not have the mental make up to handle the bigs, I think you need to stat looking in another direction.

If you want him to have 100 AB's in Norfolk, fine, lets get it started now. Next season he starts closing in on 26...a little too old to be a "prospect".

Hmm, and how does Reimold's performance compare to Wieter's who is a great prospect. Yes I know about OPS and OBP. If you look at historical OPS Troy Glaus ranks about 67th, Trot Nixon 74th,and Cal Ripken ranks 296. Do you really think Troy Glaus and Trot Nixon are that much better than Ripken. Ranking based on a database which appeared on here a couple of years ago, containing 1760 players. I don't know the years but it looks like back to somewhere in the late 60's.

You do know there is a difference in ERAs, ballparks and positions, right?

You have no basis for saying Reimold has been mediocre in the minors....The reason for that is it doesn't exist.

I think Reimold will be promoted at the minor league all-star break to Norfolk. He'll play there until the end of the minor league season, then get a call-up, and be given a legit shot to make the Orioles next spring.

In the meantime, we have an OF who has an .895 OPS at Norfolk, and another OF who has an .888 OPS at Bowie (in addition to Reimold who is at .861). Put one of them in Baltimore while we get Reimold some AAA at bats.

Edit: I didn't realize that the AA all-star break wasn't until mid-July. That's too long to wait. Reimold should move sometime in June.

Archived