Luis Hernandez Appreciation Thread

TGO

I think what you are seeing is the old axiom, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." There were several posters who expressed very strong views that LH was a great (not just good) defensive shortstop who could be a long-term answer for this team and who was a superior option even as compared to an offensive-oriented shortstop such as Tejada. Those views were very strongly expressed and so they drew a very strong, vehement reaction from those who disagreed.

By the same token, nobody out there thinks that Bynum is anything more than a stopgap. Nobody's out there (or was out there) saying he's a long-term piece of the puzzle, so there's just nothing to be vehement about in response.

How on earth is it that Frobby has posted multiple gems in this thread, very fair and wonderfully simple explanations of both sides of the story and yet this argument continues to go on? How, I ask?

As the creator of this thread, I feel I should paraphrase Einstein...I made one great mistake in my life, starting the Luis Hernandez appreciation thread. :(

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OPS:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

You are correct. Batting average and slugging percentage are meaningless numbers that in no way illustrate how well a batter performs. We should stop bringing these worthless numbers up.

Does rshack ever actually talk about baseball or does he just play incorrect contrarian against people who know far more about baseball than him and play unneeded moral compass? This over-the-top hyperbolic railing against actually using statistics to measure performance (crazy idea I know), irrational hatred of trade talk (even when it might actually improve his favorite team) especially of the word "flip" and anger about being proven dreadfully wrong about Luis really takes away from what is a great board. It is crazy to think that people dislike Luis personally...I'm sure 99.9% know nothing about him and likely only a few have actually met him. The only issue people had with him is that from day one it was plainly obvious to everyone who knows the bare minimum about the game of baseball that he was ill-equipped to be a major league baseball player. Expecting a mediocre minor league player to be able to start consistently in the majors only set yourself up for disappointment, rshack.

How on earth is it that Frobby has posted multiple gems in this thread, very fair and wonderfully simple explanations of both sides of the story and yet this argument continues to go on? How, I ask?

As the creator of this thread, I feel I should paraphrase Einstein...I made one great mistake in my life, starting the Luis Hernandez appreciation thread. :(

I agree. Frobby (as always) is hitting the nail right on the head.

Why should you consider his actual career performance (OPS) when you can play fantasy baseball with imaginary things about Luis Hernendez like gold-glove defense or Mark Belanger comparisons?
:bs:I can't recall ever comparing LH to Belanger or suggesting that LH was a GG SS. My opinion was that if he could play defense at the same level that he did last season he could be the equivalent of a league average stop gap, in spite of his poor hitting, until we found a good long term solution. He didn't play defense as well this season and so he is gone.

Okay, so I started this thread tongue in cheek obviously, but I will say this and hopefully everyone will agree.

Luis Hernandez played hard, was a Baltimore Oriole, and we respect and support him. He played occasionally outstanding and mostly good defense, put the ball in play at the plate, and got a few big hits.

/appreciates LH/

Okay, so I started this thread tongue in cheek obviously, but I will say this and hopefully everyone will agree.

Luis Hernandez played hard, was a Baltimore Oriole, and we respect and support him. He played occasionally outstanding and mostly good defense, put the ball in play at the plate, and got a few big hits.

/appreciates LH/

I could kiss you. Lock this thread NOW.

Ya know, I was one of the people who asked for new smilies...now, I'm really sorry I did. Too many posts are beginning to pop up with just smilies and no attempt to make a written response.

Somebody needs a :grouphug:

Whenever it happens that Trax gets cut, some well-meaning Oriole fan will start an appreciation thread out of respect.

And then a few morons will jump in with snide, ugly remarks about him, thinking they're being oh-so-clever.

And this will happen all over again.

Whenever it happens that Trax gets cut, some well-meaning Oriole fan will start an appreciation thread out of respect.

And then a few morons will jump in with snide, ugly remarks about him, thinking they're being oh-so-clever.

You forgot the part where the people with no sense of humor jump in, then the pathological defenders, then the comebacks to all the comments, and then it just gets entertaining :laughlol:

(Wait...Trachsel doesn't HAVE any pathological defenders. Oh well...)

Does rshack ever actually talk about baseball or does he just play incorrect contrarian against people who know far more about baseball than him and play unneeded moral compass? This over-the-top hyperbolic railing against actually using statistics to measure performance (crazy idea I know), irrational hatred of trade talk (even when it might actually improve his favorite team) especially of the word "flip" and anger about being proven dreadfully wrong about Luis really takes away from what is a great board. It is crazy to think that people dislike Luis personally...I'm sure 99.9% know nothing about him and likely only a few have actually met him. The only issue people had with him is that from day one it was plainly obvious to everyone who knows the bare minimum about the game of baseball that he was ill-equipped to be a major league baseball player. Expecting a mediocre minor league player to be able to start consistently in the majors only set yourself up for disappointment, rshack.

Kinda like this post? Seriously, it seems every post you make you are taking a shot at someone, and saying how people are WAY smarter than other people and know FAR more about baseball. You are playing contrarian as well in just about every post I've read of yours. I see you have near 200 posts, I hope if you stick around as a plus member you get a new shtick, because as you pointed out having to read the same stuff over and over gets old. Everyone doesnt have to think exactly the same way, it doesnt make someone FAR more knowledgeable than another.

Maybe, but we already had our Trax appreciation thread last year. Last year there was something worth appreciating. This year, not so much.

I for one, will make sure before I say anything bad about Trax performance this year, I will note that he is one of the top 1000 people playing organized baseball in America, just so no one thinks I don't understand that Trax accomplished more in his career than some random weekend beer league player.

I for one, will make sure before I say anything bad about Trax performance this year, I will note that he is one of the top 1000 people playing organized baseball in America, just so no one thinks I don't understand that Trax accomplished more in his career than some random weekend beer league player.

I think you've made your point....:rolleyes:

Archived