I Know The Draft is In A Few Hours...

But I'd like to know everyone's opinion of if we take Matusz with the 4th pick, are taking the best player on the board which is what Jordan and McPhail said they were going to do.

From everything I've read it looks like Hosmer, Alvarez, Beckham and Posey could possibly be ranked higher. I suppose it just depends on what website you're looking at.

I know it's been said plenty of times but if I were picking a pitcher with the 4th overall pick, I would expect it to be on someone with the ceiling of a frontline starter...

I think the consensus is that Matusz projects comfortably as a #2 with #1 potential with some coaching and physical maturation. He is considered a superior prospect to Detwieller selected by the Nats last year. Your implied reasoning that Matusz is a middle of the rotation guy at best is not shared with the scouting community. BA has Matusz as the #2 prospect. Comps to past pitchers like Price are not appropriate as Price was the consensus #1 guy on the board. This draft has no such player. That said, I'm happy if with we walk away with any of Tim Beckham, Alvarez, Smoak or Matusz. If its Matusz we get a 6'4" lefty with 3 plus pitches to add to our system.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've easily had just as much success later in the draft as we've had in the first round the past couple years.

I know regardless of who we take in the first round or any round after that I'm not going to second guess it. I think Jordan has proven that he knows what he's doing.

Here's to a good draft day today.

That's an interesting comparison.

Here are Jordan's 1st round picks:

Snyder ('05 #13), Olson ('05 #48), Rowell ('06 #9), Beato ('06 #32), and Wieters ('07 #5)

Here are the promising guys he's gotten after Rd 1:

Reimold ('05 #61), Erbe ('05 #93), Spoone ('05 #243), Hernandez ('05 #483), Arrieta ('07 #159)

I think I'll go with the 1st rounders over the entire rest of the draft. But Jordan has done a good job of finding talented players late.

I'm pro Matusz.

ToadB22

GCL O's Join Date: Jan 2008

It's alot easier to address position players through free agency and trades than pitching. Teams always end up overpaying for pitching in both of those two scenarios. Drafting pitchers is the only time a team can aquire a pitcher where you don't have to overspend.

Something that can be said of this.

If the Orioles decide against Smoak, this will be yet another time where they decide to not get the first baseman(see Bedard trade as well..Votto)....You have to wonder if the idea of getting Tex is in their minds.

You may be right but I hope they don't pass on a player based on a potential free agent. I would take the player if he is BPA and sort out the pieces later. I'm not sure they passed on Votto based on Tex, though.

If the Orioles decide against Smoak, this will be yet another time where they decide to not get the first baseman(see Bedard trade as well..Votto)....You have to wonder if the idea of getting Tex is in their minds.

I really do not believe passing on Smoak would be because Tex is in the back of their minds.

I think it would reflect an organizational philosophy to build the team a different way than a heavy investment at 1B (at least before the other parts are in place).

I really do not believe passing on Smoak would be because Tex is in the back of their minds.

I think it would reflect an organizational philosophy to build the team a different way than a heavy investment at 1B (at least before the other parts are in place).

I don't know...They are so geared towards bringing Tex here that I could see PA stepping in on this one.

I don't know...They are so geared towards bringing Tex here that I could see PA stepping in on this one.

The only thing PA would ever step in on in the past was if it was a money issue so I doubt he steps in on this because of Tex, and if for some reason he does he better just give Tex a blank check on the first day of free agency.

The only thing PA would ever step in on in the past was if it was a money issue so I doubt he steps in on this because of Tex, and if for some reason he does he better just give Tex a blank check on the first day of free agency.

Well, does PA agree to giving a big signing bonus to a guy who plays the position that Tex(the guy PA desperately wants) plays?

It's a bit foolish, don't you think? I don't understand why they'd put all their eggs in one basket.

If you land Smoak or Votto, and then land Tex, you've got a positive problem. Don't trade for Votto and don't draft and sign Smoak, and don't get Tex, you're 1B hole still sucks.

In other words, you can't control what Tex is going to do, there are too many variables. You just throw as much money as you can at him and hope for the best.

Trading for a Votto or drafting a Smoak, the ball is more in your court....

It's a bit foolish, don't you think? I don't understand why they'd put all their eggs in one basket.

If you land Smoak or Votto, and then land Tex, you've got a positive problem. Don't trade for Votto and don't draft and sign Smoak, and don't get Tex, you're 1B hole still sucks.

In other words, you can't control what Tex is going to do, there are too many variables. You just throw as much money as you can at him and hope for the best.

Trading for a Votto or drafting a Smoak, the ball is more in your court....

I agree with this completely.

I'd rather draft Smoak and then have to trade him away for 90 cents on the dollar next July if we sign Tex than not draft Smoak and then miss out on Tex.

Good point, but I think Smoak may be athletic enough to play LF if we have Tex. And I think they real target in the Bedard trade proposals was a CF (Kemp, Jones, Bruce, etc), not a 1B, which does go along with your Tex theory.

I for one wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Smoak and still signed Tex.

Or if they draft Matusz, they look to trade a few of the pitching prospects (Spoone, Liz, Erbe, Hernandez, Bascom, Bergeson) for a a positional player within the next 9 months.

Archived