BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

It's a much better idea to wait until the offseason and get the 2017-18 version of Jamile Weeks? O's could have gotten a franchise-shifting deal this past offseason, but that ship has sailed. I don't see his value increasing from whatever it is this deadline. That's if his elbow is ok.  

hahahahaha Jamile Weeks. 

Yea I was very upset we didn't make the smart move and deal Britton this off-season, but can understand it.  He had no real injury history prior to this spring, so we probably thought he'd still command very high value at the deadline.  Which he certainly would if he were healthy. 

And I do see his value increasing again.  No reason not to believe he won't return to form in the next year, unless it comes out that he needs TJ.  Which, I suppose, given our luck, can't be ruled out. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

It's a much better idea to wait until the offseason and get the 2017-18 version of Jamile Weeks? O's could have gotten a franchise-shifting deal this past offseason, but that ship has sailed. I don't see his value increasing from whatever it is this deadline. That's if his elbow is ok.  

Yes, I understand that some fans are antsy and want a trade - any trade.  Major league executives, however, have to apply reason and patience.  If the Orioles believed that Britton's health situation was such that he won't bounce back, it would be more likely that they would make the kind of accept any offer trade you are proposing.  Evidently, the Orioles are confident Britton will recover.

44 minutes ago, joelala said:

hahahahaha Jamile Weeks. 

Yea I was very upset we didn't make the smart move and deal Britton this off-season, but can understand it.  He had no real injury history prior to this spring, so we probably thought he'd still command very high value at the deadline.  Which he certainly would if he were healthy. 

And I do see his value increasing again.  No reason not to believe he won't return to form in the next year, unless it comes out that he needs TJ.  Which, I suppose, given our luck, can't be ruled out. 

Yes he did. His shoulder.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Probably shows more than anything why we need to move Britton, Brach, O'day, Castillo, Smith, Kim, etc for prospects.

I totally agree, but I don't want to see Duquette be the man, behind those trades. His track record with trades has been less than stellar. 

19 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

I totally agree, but I don't want to see Duquette be the man, behind those trades. His track record with trades has been less than stellar. 

Well, would you prefer Duquette be behind those trades and getting what we can get and in the process saving 14 million in salary this year. Or would you prefer Kim, Castillo, and Smith walking with nothing in return, Britton and Brach losing some of their value (and risking that they lose all of their value due to poor performance/injury) and losing the opportunity to get rid of some of the 18 million that O'Day will make over the next two years.

2 hours ago, twinedenter said:

I don't think Duquette deserves to be the man behind the trades.  He has had his run - it was a winning run financed by moving a lot of young talent and draft picks and it's over.  The better teams in the AL are adding talent through trade or through their farm system and we are falling farther behind now and probably for next season. 

Nonetheless, DD is our GM and he has a decent deadline track record of trading veterans for prospects.  Shame on any team that doesn't low-ball in the beginning to give up as little as possible.  I think we will move Britton as long as one team makes a quality offer. 

Buck may want Britton for next year, but I imagine he would also want a 2-3 WAR youngster ready for LF or SS just as much if not more. 

Archived