BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Tony's original post--If the O's can't get at least one blue-chip prospect for Britton, then they should keep him, pure and simple.  His command is not at 100 percent but he still has overwhelming stuff--hitting 97 and getting ground ball after ground ball.   

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree with Tony's original post--If the O's can't get at least one blue-chip prospect for Britton, then they should keep him, pure and simple.  His command is not at 100 percent but he still has overwhelming stuff--hitting 97 and getting ground ball after ground ball.   

I believe you can get a Chapman/Miller return. 

32 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe you can get a Chapman/Miller return. 

I believe that a Healthy Britton is better than either of those guys. But I also think that there is enough doubt about his health that he will not bring back anything close to what those other guys did. Hope I am wrong, and I hope you are right Weams.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I believe that a Healthy Britton is better than either of those guys. But I also think that there is enough doubt about his health that he will not bring back anything close to what those other guys did. Hope I am wrong, and I hope you are right Weams.

Andrew Miller is pretty damn good. I agree that Britton is better but it's not drastic...Miller is one of the most lights out RP's that can do pretty much anything. I'd take a return similar to that. They got Clint Frazier who looks to be a long term fixture in the middle of the order and Justus Sheffield has the looks of a very solid mid rotation starter.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

He'll still bring a big return.  The talk of his demise is way premature.  It's fake news.

If my life came down to needing a 1 run game saved, I'd take Britton over any other rp and it would be the easiest decision in the world. Kimbrel is great, but that straight FB has a better chance of leaving the yard than Britton has of giving up 3 walks/singles. He went over 27 innings without allowing an extra-base hit and that hit was a foul ball, grounder, that was hit about 60 mph. He's in his own category. 

I think that the red flags that the author points out are fair.

Britton has been plagued by injuries this season and potential trading partners are going to use this to drive down his value. In all fairness, He has not looked as sharp and more importantly his K rate is down. ( 13 stikeouts in 17 innings.)

Although I don't think that he will net what Miller/Chapman did, I agree with Tont. If you can get a blue chip SS or starting pitching prospect I would move Britton.

22 hours ago, vab said:

Even though they have all these teams ahead of them, they're way too close now to sell anybody. Unless they lose just about all the games between now and the 31st, I don't see anybody getting traded and they will probably try to add an SP.

So we can look forward to acquiring a 4th/5th starter, Wade Miley/Scott Feldman/Bud Norris type.  Exciting times.

3 hours ago, Superbee83 said:

I think that the red flags that the author points out are fair.

Britton has been plagued by injuries this season and potential trading partners are going to use this to drive down his value. In all fairness, He has not looked as sharp and more importantly his K rate is down. ( 13 stikeouts in 17 innings.)

Although I don't think that he will net what Miller/Chapman did, I agree with Tont. If you can get a blue chip SS or starting pitching prospect I would move Britton.

I agree.  The red flags pointed out were completely factual and obvious - quite frankly, so I disagree with the posts saying anyone was doing a hatchet job to lower his value.  His trade value has clearly dropped this season.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I agree.  The red flags pointed out were completely factual and obvious - quite frankly, so I disagree with the posts saying anyone was doing a hatchet job to lower his value.  His trade value has clearly dropped this season.  

It's honestly hard to come to any other conclusion. It's crazy to think Britton's value would not be affected by the time he missed and his up and down performance since coming back. That doesn't mean someone might not gamble and give the Orioles a nice return, but with the Orioles winning a little bit of late, it would not surprise me if DD stands pat.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

No one is saying that Britton should have full value as he has been hurt. What people are arguing is that most of these teams/scouts (or at least I am arguing) don't watch for results constantly but they watch for how his velociaty and stuff looks. Most of these teams that are interested are either way ahead in their division/have a comfortable lead. Britton has looked better and better in each game he has pitched as far as stuff. Is there still some things (pretty much just command) that aren't quite back yet? Sure. 

Point is, his stuff is still nasty and he's still hitting 98. Most of these teams want to build nasty back of the bullpens and clubs like the Rockies, Dodgers, and possibly Cubs have some pretty damn good closers already and could use help before them. If they could get a guy like Britton who once he's fully back can basically end a game after 7 innings, why not? We won't get what we could have got with historically good Britton of last year, but that doesn't mean we can't get a very good package still as we have no idea how teams feel about what their watching. Some may thing with his velo and his pitching still having incredible life on them that he's well on his way. Some may see his command and don't want to take a chance. Who the heck knows.

I will say though that teams love to downplay guys/talk trash about them during the deadline. This article may point out some concerns about Britton because obviously everything hasn't been rainbows and butterflies, but that doesn't mean that these teams saying this still wouldn't pay a very good price to get him. It's more so just to downplay a guy that is out there on the trade market as their multiple teams in on the guy.

Archived