Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

Frobby

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

As unpopular as this may sound, Beckham is simply not a starting-caliber infielder, much less a shortstop.  I would give both Hardy and Beckham starts at short, but keep Beckham someway in the lineup everyday.  Beckham's future should be outfield, where his tools would really play up.  While we have a logjam in the OF, Beckham has the potential to actually field really well there.  When Beckham does start at short, Hardy should defensively replace him late if we are playing to win (especially with our ground ball closer).  Shortstop is just too important.

I'm OK with a slightly above average ML bat being a slightly below average shortstop.  There is value in that combination.  The O's need a shortstop going forward and Beckham is enough of one.

“I’ve done it before,” Hardy said of mentoring an up-and-coming shortstop. “It’s a business. … For this situation, if something I’ve done helps him to become a better player, or helps our team get better, and at the end of the season he’s the future shortstop for the next however many years and I’m somewhere else, so be it.

“That’s the way it is and the way the business is. I’m not going to be the guy who treats a guy bad or makes him feel uncomfortable and not try to help him because I want to be selfish because I want to be around. No. That’s just not the person I am. It will probably happen again, the same thing that happened with Alcides, and that’s just the way the game goes.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-beckham-hardy-20170813-story.html

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm OK with a slightly above average ML bat being a slightly below average shortstop.  There is value in that combination.  The O's need a shortstop going forward and Beckham is enough of one.

Don't see a better option thew next 3 years.

6 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

If Hardy is willing to coach his replacement, he will be following in the footsteps of another great Baltimore sportsman.

Many years ago, before Don Shula achieved fame and fortune as a coach, he was a fine defensive back for the Colts.  In the twilight of his career, he faced competition during training camp from a rookie who sought to replace him in the Colt backfield.  He willingly taught the young man what he knew -- and then was cut before the season began.  He was awarded the game ball in his last game with the Colts for his selflessness.

I tried to research this and found nothing to buttress my memory of long ago glories,  but I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

As I just posted in the 2017 Defense Thread, I think Beckham misplayed two consecutive DP opportunities last night.    Both plays resulted in one out and no errors were charged (or should have been), but I think Hardy would have turned them into DP's.

I say this not to argue that Hardy should get his job back, but merely to point out that Beckham's better offense comes at a cost.    

Archived