O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

5 minutes ago, section18 said:

We need pitching and Hellickson is better than what we are running out there every night.  Gausman when he is on is the exception.  Bundy appears to be tired. Tillman should be shut down.  What a wasted season by him. He should be embarrassed to take his check along with Ubaldo and Miley. Stealing money from the team. Oh and O'Day ! What a waste!

Hellickson's FIP is only better than Tillman and Jimenez. His strikeout rate will be the worst in the rotation, which is pretty impressive for this rotation. He's bad, and fits right in in a bad rotation.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Hellickson's FIP is only better than Tillman and Jimenez. His strikeout rate will be the worst in the rotation, which is pretty impressive for this rotation. He's bad, and fits right in in a bad rotation.

His K rate is the WORST of all qualifiers. Maybe he eats 90 innings for us and saves us the indignity of raiding independent leagues for SP.

10 minutes ago, section18 said:

We need pitching and Hellickson is better than what we are running out there every night.  Gausman when he is on is the exception.  Bundy appears to be tired. Tillman should be shut down.  What a wasted season by him. He should be embarrassed to take his check along with Ubaldo and Miley. Stealing money from the team. Oh and O'Day ! What a waste!

I'd rather just bring up Tyler Wilson and Wright. It was a meaningless trade, who cares who pitches at this point. The season is over.

Meh.  Cleavinger isn't some great prospect; he has an ERA over 6 at Bowie and he had an ERA over 4 at Frederick last year.  If the Phillies can turn him into a major league pitcher, it will be another data point favoring the Parker Bridwell hypothesis that the O's are terrible at developing pitchers.  

But what's the point?  This team isn't going anywhere.  Hellickson is probably an upgrade on Miley going forward, but the O's have dug themselves too deep a hole.  

I guess I'm saying that the trade itself isn't so bad, but I don't like what it signifies--that the team still thinks of themselves as contenders and probably won't trade Seth Smith, Brad Brach or Wellington Castillo for prospects.

3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

You guys are just never happy, you know it? Let's wait and see what else Dan does before we start judging him.

What about this trade is there to be happy about? I'm not even really mad, just annoyed by a pointless, lackluster trade that has no real reasoning. 2-3 weeks ago, maybe this would be interesting when we were 2.5-3.5 out of WC but this team is finished this year. 

Kim wasn't going to be here in 2018, the slot money wasn't going to be used, and Cleavinger is no loss.  Hellickson will eat innings, we're getting cash and losing Kim to help pay for it, and we've made room on the active roster for the guy we do plan on keeping going forward, Santander, who is finishing up his rehab.

I really don't understand all the hand wringing over this deal, as there's nothing to be upset about at all.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Kim wasn't going to be here in 2018, the slot money wasn't going to be used, and Cleavinger is no loss.  Hellickson will eat innings, we're getting cash and losing Kim to help pay for it, and we've made room on the active roster for the guy we do plan on keeping going forward, Santander, who is finishing up his rehab.

I really don't understand all the hand wringing over this deal, as there's nothing to be upset about at all.

I agree we didn't lose anything to get upset about. I just don't understand what hellickson brings. Bad pitchers making real money to "eat innings" is something the O's already have a surplus of.

I agree with you.  I think he will be considered  during the off season if he pitches well for us the last two months. I said this earlier.  He will probably give us more innings and in the NL many starters are pinch hit for in the 5th or 6th inning often times in games.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I agree we simply don't have enough SP to get through the season.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I appreciate the effort to look at this somewhat objectively.  I have several issues with the trade.  Our competitive position says that we should be collecting minor league assets and not shedding them.  We may view Cleavinger as having a limit ceiling, but let's keep him and see if he gets better.  You know, like Bridwell did. 

Why give up international slots to get Hellickson?  Our prior GM had no such vanity regarding his won-loss record and sent out Steve Traschel repeatedly to lose games and get us into a better draft position.  Why not package Cleavinger and our international slots for an incrementally better prospect than Cleavinger?

Regarding the need for a SP, why hasn't Dan been stashing SP wanna-be guys at AAA for use over the balance of the season?  Let's see what other teams so many games below .500 acquire SPs this trade deadline to be an "innings eater."

Why is this move better than DFAing or cutting Kim?  We would have our international slots and Cleavinger and only be out the pro-rata portion of Kim's salary.

Archived