O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Strange trade. I don't see the harm in it. 

As long as we didn't give up international signing money and they are eating most of his contract then it isn't terrible. But if we actually are paying the rest of his contract this is a joke. Ubaldo (14mm); Tillman and Miley (10mm app. each) is a bunch of dead money. 

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This trade is horrible. Cleavinger has been one of the good Bowie bullpen pieces with Tim Berry and should have been high on the list for a Baltimore bullpen spot next season out of Spring Training.

Now the question is, what roster player is going bye bye?

Are you really serious? The guy has a low six era?

2 hours ago, Malike said:

If he's given the autonomy to make his own decisions, he's shown throughout his career that he is adept at making good trades and signing int'l talent. I'm pretty sure the decree handed down to him was try to patch it together. I don't believe for a second he has full autonomy to make the deals he'd like to make. That's on the owner not the GM. He was the origninal boy wonder, not Epstein.

Bingo you got it right...

Kim wasn't playing here it was pretty obvious he was not a Buck guy, and would not be here next year no loss IMHO.

Cleavinger was not going any where here, but our recent track record shows the Phi's will get Cy Young out of him in the near future. xD

I don't know know, we need pitching I don't have and issue with this trade.

7 hours ago, section18 said:

We need pitching and Hellickson is better than what we are running out there every night.  Gausman when he is on is the exception.  Bundy appears to be tired. Tillman should be shut down.  What a wasted season by him. He should be embarrassed to take his check along with Ubaldo and Miley. Stealing money from the team. Oh and O'Day ! What a waste! Hellickson came up through the Tampa system so he has an edge already.

Miley has been a better pitcher than Hellickson this year, Ubaldo has been quite similar.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you really serious? The guy has a low six era?

Judging a player solely by his ERA is not a good move.  That being said, Cleavinger is a LOOGY or middle relief ceiling guy.  I'm not a big fan of his stuff, he relies on deception, but doesn't have enough control and command to make it play against more advanced bats.  

3 hours ago, Malike said:

If he's given the autonomy to make his own decisions, he's shown throughout his career that he is adept at making good trades and signing int'l talent. I'm pretty sure the decree handed down to him was try to patch it together. I don't believe for a second he has full autonomy to make the deals he'd like to make. That's on the owner not the GM. He was the origninal boy wonder, not Epstein.

Some folks around here will be sad not to have his brains if not his actions on our side. 

7 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Judging a player solely by his ERA is not a good move.  That being said, Cleavinger is a LOOGY or middle relief ceiling guy.  I'm not a big fan of his stuff, he relies on deception, but doesn't have enough control and command to make it play against more advanced bats.  

I was just looking at his stats -- strikes out almost 10 per 9, allows less than one hit per inning.   Seems like a guy with at least some potential.     Worth keeping an eye on.    

Lol the we didn't give up anything. Regardless of how Clevenger has pitched this year people said the same thing about Birdwell,....and Triggs....and Aquino....and Davies..... and Arrieta. Not to mention we gave up more international money, but that doesn't matter I guess since this organization doesn't use it. 

10 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

ERA is a pretty good factor for SPs in my opinion. Relief pitchers not as much since you can't see the runs allowed charged to another pitcher. I've send the other metrics. With the way our SPs have pitched this year he becomes our 2nd best SP and Bundy should be about out of innings in a meaningless season.

look it was a stupid acquisition ...but if the money is right and between Kim and the cash it's only costing a few mill of MASN money who cares.

We gave up a low ceiling lottery ticket , a player Buck refused to play and needed to be move to make room for the rule 5 that had to be on the roster soon, and international slots that are worthless to us due to our horrible owner.

all in all the value is not bad....Stupid acquisition because we are not a playoff team...but that isn't my point

Just now, andrewochs615 said:

Lol the we didn't give up anything. Regardless of how Clevenger has pitched this year people said the same thing about Birdwell,....and Triggs....and Aquino....and Davies..... and Arrieta. Not to mention we gave up more international money, but that doesn't matter I guess since this organization doesn't use it. 

Cleavenger is not those folks. At all. And the Orioles still have Aquino. You must mean Miranda. And it is not money. It is the ability to spend money. Which the Orioles will not do. So. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was just looking at his stats -- strikes out almost 10 per 9, allows less than one hit per inning.   Seems like a guy with at least some potential.     Worth keeping an eye on.    

He's not as bad as his ERA, but I can name 10 relief prospects in the O's system I'd rather have.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Cleavenger is not those folks. At all. And the Orioles still have Aquino. You must mean Miranda. And it is not money. It is the ability to spend money. Which the Orioles will not do. So. 

My bad you are right its Miranda. 

Archived