O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

look it was a stupid acquisition ...but if the money is right and between Kim and the cash it's only costing a few mill of MASN money who cares.

Per Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer "They still owe Hellickson roughly $7 million, which they will pay in order to sweeten the return."

If this it accurate, it looks like Dan sold Cleavinger and the international slot money for about $1.7M, which is the approximate amount remaining on Kim's $4.2M salary for 2017.  Further, if Hellickson pitches decent over the next month he could still be traded to a contender by August 31.  Any team claiming Hellickson would still be responsible for his remaining salary, so that would serve as a deterrent to most teams.  This could turn out to be a rather savy move by the front office.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If they want him that bad they could sign him in the off-season.

The idea that, if he did happen to pitch well for two months, they would spend $17+ million on him for next year is horrifying.

If he pitches well, they can send him somewhere next month. 

2 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Per Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer "They still owe Hellickson roughly $7 million, which they will pay in order to sweeten the return."

If this it accurate, it looks like Dan sold Cleavinger and the international slot money for about $1.7M, which is the approximate amount remaining on Kim's $4.2M salary for 2017.  Further, if Hellickson pitches decent over the next month he could still be traded to a contender by August 31.  Any team claiming Hellickson would still be responsible for his remaining salary, so that would serve as a deterrent to most teams.  This could turn out to be a rather savy move by the front office.

If the Phillies are in fact paying all of his salary, then it makes it an ok deal.  

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Dear god, this deal is horrible.

Cleavinger, Kim, and International slots for Hellickson and cash found in the couch cushions.

Seriously...What the fu

Because it's a DD move. Yes its terrible. But what else do we as fans expect from our FO?

10 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

HHP, good thoughts. 

9 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

The flip in August is very real. There are much teams in the hunt in the AL than NL. So by getting him to the AL it would be easier to do a waiver deadline trade. 

9 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

You guys are just never happy, you know it? Let's wait and see what else Dan does before we start judging him.

Why? The season is over. Why not bring up some minor league pitchers? Sorry but I just disagree with this trade. We shouldn't buying at all. It's selling time. DD is delusional if he believes this team can make it to a WC. In my opinion he is not a good GM. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The flip in August is very real. There are much teams in the hunt in the AL than NL. So by getting him to the AL it would be easier to do a waiver deadline trade. 

An August flip seems like a logical possibility.

But given the talk of how he will help us win, and how DD seems to be wanting to show the fan base, or at least a naive segment of it, that we haven't given up "trying" this year - do you really think he WOULD turn around and flip Hellickson?

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think this trade has less to do with competing for a wildcard spot than it does with encouraging the average fan to believe that we are making an effort to compete without giving up anyone we were counting on for the future.

• No matter how bad Hellickson may be, his ERA makes him look like he's having a better year than some of our starters.
  • Kim has become a bit of a favorite in an underdog way, but the choice of  playing Kim or Mancini, is a no-brainer. Fans, and some in O's management, will be happy to see Kim have more of an opportunity to play elsewhere. 
  • If this results in Ubaldo being released, people will love it (at least until Hellickson has thrown a few clunkers on his own.

This deal probably won't change where the O's finish in the standings, but it has some good PR value and there is nothing heinous about it.

I agree about Kim. He needs a shot with another team. 

A few things to defend this trade.

1. The season isn't over, whether we make a run or not. There are still games for 2 months that will be important for determining our direction next year.

2. Remember, our SP is horrible, and statistically, he's our 2nd best starter now. Saves the BP innings and one of Miley or Jiminez should be gone soon opening up another roster spot. Bundy's tired too.

3. I'm ok giving up a RP prospect to get this done.  These are the type of prospects we actually produce in an abundance. Not gonna miss Kim either.

4. Could flip in a later trade for an asset.

5. No financial commitment for 2018. Lots of money potentially coming off the books especially if we do find takers for Brach and Britton. Interested to see what FA's we could pursue if we are making a run for next year. Hellickson will not be part of that run.

Very well said ScGO's. Now that we know they are paying his salary it looks like a win. Anyone can clearly see we are in need of a few starters . The AAA guys are just as bad as the ones on roster now . Do you really want to watch Gnoa, wright, Wilson any more?

10 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

If the Orioles added Hellickson because they want to shut down Dylan Bundy early and protect his arm, I could live with the move. That's pretty much the only valid excuse for this trade happening though. 

That and the fact that the only pitcher left is KG. I'm guessing this was done because 80% of the rotation is either hurt, needs rest, or is just flat out not good.

49 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

If the Phillies are in fact paying all of his salary, then it makes it an ok deal.  

Well its says they will pay to sweeten the return. Does anyone here think Kim and Cleavinger are enough to get them to pay his salary the rest of the season.

In addition, If the Phillies agree to pay his salary how would his salary be a deterrent to someone claiming him in August?

27 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? The season is over. Why not bring up some minor league pitchers? Sorry but I just disagree with this trade. We shouldn't buying at all. It's selling time. DD is delusional if he believes this team can make it to a WC. In my opinion he is not a good GM. 

I have asked these questions many times, but I've yet to see any answer (with the qualification stated below):

1.  Why are you (you meaning "anyone") certain that the direction of the Orioles' trades and free agent signings, including the trades (and non-trades) at this season's deadline, determined by Duquette, as opposed to those above him on the Oriole letterhead (all of whom share a last name)? I don't know who makes these strategic decisions, but what I know about the Orioles' owners and about Duquette, and their respective track records, strongly suggests to me that it's the former.

2.  If Duquette leaves after next season, or is fired or quits before then, who would be a more effective VP/GM and might take the job? (The only answer I've seen to this one is Brady, and I have no idea why anyone thinks he or she would be a better VP/GM than Duquette, other than the contention that the owner would listen to the same recommendations that he has ignored for years or decades if those recommendations came from Brady. I find that highly doubtful.)

Archived