Verlander is he worth a claim

TouchemAll

On 8/3/2017 at 10:48 AM, Tryptamine said:

The Tigers aren't giving up Verlander for free. When the Cubs were all over Verlander, the Tigers were asking for one of Ian Happ/Javy Baez plus a couple other prospects and they were only willing to eat 10M of Verlander's contract.

LMFAO. Avilla is downright delusional if he thinks he can pull that off without eating a metric ton of money

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He cleared waivers

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/04/detroit-tigers-justin-verlander-clears-revocable-trade-waivers/541662001/

The Tigers are not dealing him.  He might be even more Mr. Detroit than Cabrera.  His velocity has been back all season.  They aren't shipping him off someplace to watch him become Verlander again no matter how much money they could save.

47 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

He cleared waivers

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/04/detroit-tigers-justin-verlander-clears-revocable-trade-waivers/541662001/

The Tigers are not dealing him.  He might be even more Mr. Detroit than Cabrera.  His velocity has been back all season.  They aren't shipping him off someplace to watch him become Verlander again no matter how much money they could save.

Then why put him on waivers if you're not even considering trading him?   All it's going to do is alienate him.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then why put him on waivers if you're not even considering trading him?   All it's going to do is alienate him.

Yeah I agree. They are trying to shed salary and no one is going to take Cabrera's or Martinez's contracts. If they can get something valuable back to shed Verlander's contract, I think they'll do it. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because someone might come along and offer a Sonny Gray package and take on some salary. Stranger things have happened.  But I agree with Tryptamine....it probably ain't. They aren't dumping Verlander just for cash. I am sure Dombrowski already tried to get them to do that.

The radio guy on the way in said that the Astros and Tigers were in talks with Verlander.  They Astros pitching has struggled for awhile and may need to make a move it would not be a suprise if they think they have to make a move for the playoffs.  They are not playing like the best team right now.  Looking at the AL playoffs the top teams have some issues.  The Astros need some more pitching.  The Indians bullpen has been a bit shaky and with Miller out could hurt them down the stretch and the Red Sox still have Price out with arm issues.

4 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

The fact that Verlander cleared is very interesting. 

Nobody will assume that contract. Nobody. Same thing applies to Chris Davis. I am sure that the Orioles have put Davis through too. Nobody would assume that contract either.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Nobody will assume that contract. Nobody. Same thing applies to Chris Davis. I am sure that the Orioles have put Davis through too. Nobody would assume that contract either.

Evidently. That's one way to find out you signed someone to an awful contract. Pitching is limited & he's still got 98 but nobody claimed him, even to just stop him from being traded. There must be some who think Det may let him go. 

6 minutes ago, theobird said:

If I had my choice, I'd much rather take on Verlander's contract than Davis'.

7 minutes ago, theobird said:

Yes, Chris Davis has cleared revocable waivers and can be traded to any interested team. We'd have to eat a ton of salary though.

Archived