Interview with Marc Topkin/Tampa Times on Beckham

wildcard

10 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

You guys are ridiculous. Sounds like you want him to fail. Dude goes out there and post a 4-4 with a HR and you're thinking about JJ's old ass. 

Unbelievable.

Really. I mean I get that he may never be the defender that JJ is/was but he looks like a good young player who's cheap and under control. 

Do people want Duquette to fail that badly?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

You have to know the situation and not react.  You basically plant your feet 2 feet from the bag and don't run until you have to.  There is just no reason to even consider running there.  You have recognize that you are basically just a placeholder until the actual run that matters (hopefully) comes up.

I'm not trying to kill the guy, but that was a terrible baseball play.  It may have been low risk and he just got unlucky, but there was zero reward.

This,  Let us hope he learns from it and we can move on but knowing that Manny has not learned from these mistakes , I doubt Beckham will.

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Beckham took off on a pitch that was over the batters head basically. How is he suppose to know it would hit the bricks perfectly?  He didn't wait until it hit the bricks, he reacted right away. 

Basically, the same as when he took off from first as a Ray on a fly ball he assumed Joey Rickard wouldn't get to. But Joey did get to the ball and doubled Beckham off first. 

He trusts his instincts, but they aren't always good. Especially on the bases.

44 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Really. I mean I get that he may never be the defender that JJ is/was but he looks like a good young player who's cheap and under control. 

Do people want Duquette to fail that badly?

Absolutely.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Thanks for this.  It made me laugh.    " I find it interesting that the Orioles are consistently considered to have little to no talent in the minors but every one we give away is so highly regarded."

I don't really see the conflict.    We have less minor league talent than most other organizations in part because we trade a lot away to get major league players for short term purposes.    There's no contradiction there.    

As to Myers, just look at it logically.    He was the 7th guy we drafted last year (6th round).     Of the guys ahead of him, he was doing better this year at Aberdeen at age 18 than Dietz did last year at age 21, and he's certainly outperforming our 5th round pick, Alexis Torres, who is hitting terribly in the GCL for the second straight year.    Nobody drafted behind him is lighting the world on fire, so I'd say he was at worst our 5th-best prospect among our 2016 draft class (with Hays, Akin, Sedlock and Hanifee possibly ahead of him).     Now he's gone, and our system is weaker because of it.   Rinse, wash and repeat that enough times and you get a below average system.    

Archived