What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

FanSince88

24 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Problem is that JJ is a SS.  Has he ever even played an inning at another position in the majors?  He doesn't strike me as a guy that you could move around to various positions at this stage of his career.  I'd bring him in on a minor league deal to see how he looks.  He can still field, but we can't carry his bat all year next year if that's all he has left.

Maybe my opinion of Hardy is to high but I think of him a professional infielder who could play 2B/SS/3B if he was given a ST to prepare,

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe my opinion of Hardy is to high but I think of him a professional infielder who could play 2B/SS/3B if he was given a ST to prepare,

Considering the amount of shifting the Orioles do, I think Hardy would have zero difficulty playing 2B -- he's spent plenty of time on that side of the diamond even while playing SS.   I don't think he'd have that hard a time at 3B either.  

Nothing for Ubaldo, Miley, or Hardy.  Time to move on from those guys.  And I'll stand by that even if Ubaldo has one of his two month good Ubaldo streaks to end the season and even if he wins Game 7 of the World Series November 1 at Dodger Stadium.

Tillman, maybe a one year deal for 7 digits.  If some other team gives him more, than move on.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Nothing for Ubaldo, Miley, or Hardy.  Time to move on from those guys.  And I'll stand by that even if Ubaldo has one of his two month good Ubaldo streaks to end the season and even if he wins Game 7 of the World Series November 1 at Dodger Stadium.

Tillman, maybe a one year deal for 7 digits.  If some other team gives him more, than move on.

That's about where I am, especially with Tillman. Try to match or maybe slightly exceed whatever he may get out there. He's been an important part of our winning  since 2012 and I want to see us give him a chance to get himself right next year. 

The rotation has to be filled one way or another. I don't really see any pitchers in our system that I think are ready to enter the rotation next spring. So I think at least one of Tillman, Miley, or Jimenez will be back. Even if Jimenez pitches well through the end of this season, it's hard to see the organization signing up for another year of that torture. I could see Miley getting an offer on a one-year deal, maybe around $5 million. I could see a similar, maybe slightly better offer to Tillman as well, though I think a lot will depend on how he does the rest of this season. 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Did we get offered close to major league pitchers for those assets? Full us in on who we missed out on. I'm looking forward to following their careers.

Sorry but by similarity I can list the guys we traded to other teams. I won't bother because there are many threads listing the accomplishments of former young cost controlled O's players thruout the majors.

13 minutes ago, crawjo said:

The rotation has to be filled one way or another. I don't really see any pitchers in our system that I think are ready to enter the rotation next spring. So I think at least one of Tillman, Miley, or Jimenez will be back. Even if Jimenez pitches well through the end of this season, it's hard to see the organization signing up for another year of that torture. I could see Miley getting an offer on a one-year deal, maybe around $5 million. I could see a similar, maybe slightly better offer to Tillman as well, though I think a lot will depend on how he does the rest of this season. 

Seems like the O's FO has the same vision problem:

1. They didn't see Ariel Miranda as being ready and he has been far superior to Wade Miley for about 20 million less dollars

2. They didn't see Parker Bridwell as worth a roster spot and yet he is 5-1 on a team ahead of the O's in the WC race

I could list more... I would take any AAA pitcher over seeing Wade Miley pitch another game

Don't want any of the four back.

Ideally if Tillman is healthy you give him 1/5 with a few million in incentives. Problem being, you can never trust if he's healthy. So just sign a Dickey or Cashner for that same type of money as your No 5 guy.

I wouldn't bring any of those players back either. 

Hardy - I think the Beckham trade made it pretty apparent that this will be Hardy's last season as an Oriole. 

Jimenez, Miley, Tillman - It's time to move on. There will be plenty of comparable pitchers on the market. I don't see any reason to specifically target any of these players.

36 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Lucas Long could be an option, we have a few in house options for the back of the rotation next year (Wright, Aquino, Asher, Ynoa, Long, Means, Hess) but no one that a spot should be just handed to.

My strategy would be spend on one starter, trade for one starter (either directly with Britton, or getting the best package for Britton and then trading some of our position prospects/prospects from Britton deal), then sign a couple of buy low candidates (coming off injury or poor performance) to compete with the in-house guys.

26 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Seems like the O's FO has the same vision problem:

1. They didn't see Ariel Miranda as being ready and he has been far superior to Wade Miley for about 20 million less dollars

2. They didn't see Parker Bridwell as worth a roster spot and yet he is 5-1 on a team ahead of the O's in the WC race

I could list more... I would take any AAA pitcher over seeing Wade Miley pitch another game

The Angels are not ahead of the Orioles.  At least not at this moment.

The Orioles commitment to Miley is nowhere near $20M.  

Couldn't you make the same point without two untrue statements?

33 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sorry but by similarity I can list the guys we traded to other teams. I won't bother because there are many threads listing the accomplishments of former young cost controlled O's players thruout the majors.

That really has nothing to do with this though, does it? Nice attempted pivot.

You were talking about what we should have receive in return for our soon to be FA's at the deadline. So, who would that have been, and how would they have helped us next season? You mention younger, healthier players. I'm interested in hearing more about these hypothetical people.

Archived