The Morning After

Good morning all...

I woke up this morning and instead of getting up, I just laid there and spent about an hour contemplating the six selections made yesterday. There are a few things I think are important to remember...

1> We don't really know what factors lead to some young men being 'passed over', as financial concerns, attitude or makeup concerns and HS'ers having very strong college commitments can all be a part of the equation.

Tim Melville, Ross Seaton, Harold Martinez and many others are known to favor college, so we cannot necessarily fault the Orioles for not choosing them (I would pick a few of these guys and hope for the best anyway with some picks today).

2> We really don't know what organizational/management issues Jordan has to keep in mind while selecting. Was he told to avoid a top round 1B because we may sign Teixeira? I highly doubt it, but with the O's not much surprises me.

I have a feeling that if we were all allowed to have an open and honest conversation with JJ, we would learn a great deal about his thought process and why this happened and that didn't. It's easy for me/us to sit back and judge what's happened, but perhaps there are 'behind the scenes' things at work. Dunno. Perhaps JJ would tell us that he simply took the BPA at each pick.

Perhaps we'll be applauding his efforts in two years time. Then again...

Good morning all...

I woke up this morning and instead of getting up, I just laid there and spent about an hour contemplating the six selections made yesterday. There are a few things I think are important to remember...

1> We don't really know what factors lead to some young men being 'passed over', as financial concerns, attitude or makeup concerns and HS'ers having very strong college commitments can all be a part of the equation.

Tim Melville, Ross Seaton, Harold Martinez and many others are known to favor college, so we cannot necessarily fault the Orioles for not choosing them (I would pick a few of these guys and hope for the best anyway with some picks today).

2> We really don't know what organizational/management issues Jordan has to keep in mind while selecting. Was he told to avoid a top round 1B because we may sign Teixeira? I highly doubt it, but with the O's not much surprises me.

I have a feeling that if we were all allowed to have an open and honest conversation with JJ, we would learn a great deal about his thought process and why this happened and that didn't. It's easy for me/us to sit back and judge what's happened, but perhaps there are 'behind the scenes' things at work. Dunno. Perhaps JJ would tell us that he simply took the BPA at each pick.

Perhaps we'll be applauding his efforts in two years time. Then again...

When the hangover subsides, it's also important to remember that 3 years will be a better timeframe to understand how well or poorly this draft went.

If we don't have faith in our scouts, perhaps teams should consider subscribing to baseball prospectus and baseball america and just draft off of their top 200 list. :P

When the hangover subsides, it's also important to remember that 3 years will be a better timeframe to understand how well or poorly this draft went.

If we don't have faith in our scouts, perhaps teams should consider subscribing to baseball prospectus and baseball america and just draft off of their top 200 list. :P

I don't drink... however, I say two years, because by then we should have a good feel for how well they are doing, whie it will truly take 3-4 years to have an even better idea. Agreed.

Yah... Jones was a SS before he moved to the outfield.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he has AJ type speed, from what I read. Jones could play both but is better in CF whereas it looks like Hoes will be an infielder.

I don't think he's thought of as a CF at all.

GP, I like your opening post.

One thing that's easy to overlook is that after round 1, they only get a minute to pick. I'm sure it can get pretty haywire in the war room with 30 minutes between picks...and if a player they like gets taken, making the adjustments and figuring out who else to take.

I'm sure JJ and the rest have a system down and a big board to rank everyone they're interested on, but I can see how it could get pretty hectic...

One thing that's easy to overlook is that after round 1, they only get a minute to pick. I'm sure it can get pretty haywire in the war room with 30 minutes between picks...and if a player they like gets taken, making the adjustments and figuring out who else to take.

I'm sure JJ and the rest have a system down and a big board to rank everyone they're interested on, but I can see how it could get pretty hectic...

Since you can't trade picks, unlike in other sports, I would think that the draft would go fairly smoothly. You do your scouting and negotiating ahead of time, rank your guys, and take the guy at the top of your board.

I know it wasn't your intention, but this post is actually insulting to Jordan and our scouts. I don't think they picked anyone because of the hectic draft room; they picked these guys because they wanted to.

Let's hope they're on to something. I've already warmed to the top three picks, for the record...although I can certainly see some reasons to question them as well.

I don't think they picked anyone because of the hectic draft room; they picked these guys because they wanted to.

Agree 100%. You only get so many chances to be a scouting director. If one is going to lose one's job over performance, it better be while taking the guys you want.

Archived