That was special

Cumberbundy

17 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

How is it 100? 

• Start with 50 points.
  • Add one point for each out recorded, so three points for every complete inning pitched. 27
  • Add two points for each inning completed after the fourth. 10
  • Add one point for each strikeout. 12
  • Subtract two points for each hit allowed. -2
  • Subtract four points for each earned run allowed. 0
  • Subtract two points for each unearned run allowed. 0
  • Subtract one point for each walk. -2                                                                                                                                               I get 95 which is what ESPN has. MLB has 100 but i dont think that is right.

On December 14, 2014, Tom Tango introduced Game Score Version 2.0[7] in an attempt to, as he claims, "fix the gaps" in the original Game Score calculation devised by James more than thirty years previously.[8] Key changes made by Tango to the original formula included applying a base of 40 points to starting pitchers' game scores (instead of 50); equalizing the penalty for giving up a walk with that of giving up a hit; and introducing home runs given up into the equation.[8]

The new 2.0 formula is:

• Start with 40 points
  • Add two points for each out
  • Add one point for each strikeout
  • Subtract two points for each walk
  • Subtract two points for each hit
  • Subtract three points for each run (both earned and unearned)
  • Subtract six points for each home run

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, VeveJones007 said:

On December 14, 2014, Tom Tango introduced Game Score Version 2.0[7] in an attempt to, as he claims, "fix the gaps" in the original Game Score calculation devised by James more than thirty years previously.[8] Key changes made by Tango to the original formula included applying a base of 40 points to starting pitchers' game scores (instead of 50); equalizing the penalty for giving up a walk with that of giving up a hit; and introducing home runs given up into the equation.[8]

The new 2.0 formula is:

• Start with 40 points

MLB must use Tango's formula, which gives Bundy a score of 100 (if my mental math is right).

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was only able to see from the 6th inning on.  He had great stuff, but has learned that pitch selection and location is just as important as stuff.  I can't count the number of times he threw a pitch in the mid 80's (change up?) in what most people and hitters would think was a fastball count.  The high, rising fastball was a thing of beauty.  He mostly seemed to be throwing about 91, 92, but his location was pinpoint.  I assume he was reaching higher speed earlier in game. 

I would have to say it was the best game by an O's pitcher since Bedard's 15k game.  It seems like the light is on for Bundy as far as how to approach each hitter and managing his own game.  The time to extend him is now!

Where he shines and places himself amongst the top starting pitchers is with his elite level of location. He is still on the come. Love it!

2 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Obsessing over pitch counts is junk science.  It has led to more injures if anything.  A pitcher should come out if he is tired, laboring or ineffective.  Bundy was neither of these tonight. 

And getting all upset about it is man yells at cloud stuff.

16 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

OMG I get so tired of this crap. He was dominate and he finished the damn game like he should have.  My God I don't know what's worse the PC police or the pitch count police.  

I think people who don't know the difference between dominate and dominant are worse.

1 minute ago, VeveJones007 said:

The new 2.0 formula is:

• Start with 40 points

The new formula is apparently what the official MLB box score uses now, but I have to admit, I don't understand the logic of the changes?  A walk is clearly not as bad as a hit, because a hit can be for multiple bases, and can score even if it isn't a bases-loaded situation.  Also, equalizing the penalty of earned runs and unearned runs doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  And finally, why is a run scored via the home run any worse than any other kind of run scored?  Maybe a little bit of an indicator into the pitcher's performance, in the same way that it's kind of related with FIP or whatever, but not as much so as it does.  And then to normalize the scores because of all of the additional penalties they introduce for things like that, they have doubled the amount of points scored for getting an out.  Just sort of... odd.  Who decided that this was somehow the better indicator of pitching performance than the original formula?

8 minutes ago, callahan09 said:

The new formula is apparently what the official MLB box score uses now, but I have to admit, I don't understand the logic of the changes?  A walk is clearly not as bad as a hit, because a hit can be for multiple bases, and can score even if it isn't a bases-loaded situation.  Also, equalizing the penalty of earned runs and unearned runs doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  And finally, why is a run scored via the home run any worse than any other kind of run scored?  Maybe a little bit of an indicator into the pitcher's performance, in the same way that it's kind of related with FIP or whatever, but not as much so as it does.  And then to normalize the scores because of all of the additional penalties they introduce for things like that, they have doubled the amount of points scored for getting an out.  Just sort of... odd.  Who decided that this was somehow the better indicator of pitching performance than the original formula?

omg, who are you ? you are my OH hero. :x:x

36 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would have to say it was the best game by an O's pitcher since Bedard's 15k game.  It seems like the light is on for Bundy as far as how to approach each hitter and managing his own game.  The time to extend him is now!

I'd concur that this was the best game since Bedard's.    And this kid is a stone cold killer.    Injury is the only thing standing between Bundy and greatness.    He's got the repertoire, the command, the smarts and the bulldog mentality to be an ace.    No question in my mind.  Just stay healthy!

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say it was special.  Only the 14th game score of 100 in a 9 inning game.

That's based on GSv1, which gives Bundy a score of 95.

GSv2 gives Bundy 100, but a 100 is more common in the new calculation. Acccording to this FG piece, there were 9 such performances in 2015:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/game-score-v2-0/

41 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Bundy, Machado, Schoop.
This is why you have a farm system. This is why you reap what you sow. These are Orioles.

I really think our "core 4" are about as special as anyone's. I don't think it requires a great deal around Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman and a reliable bullpen to compete for the post season. We have seen either a great deal of struggle or some struggle/time missed from everyone on the roster but Schoop and a couple guys in the pen. 

If we lock up those 4 I think we give ourselves a shot in the years to come so long as they're healthy. These guys are special, it's really enjoyable to watch a group grow together. 

A few years ago I realized that my favorite part of watching my team was seeing them happy. Watching the pies in the face, the Terps singing their fight song after a win, the players wearing the uniform that you have a connection to, showing excitement to be on that team, creates a connection that feels more personal - more than the strike outs, I love seeing the pies and the joy in the guys representing our home town. 

33 minutes ago, callahan09 said:

http://tangotiger.com/index.php/site/comments/game-score-1.1-and-1.2

Of course you're right; it just doesn't work that way in Tango's modeling.

Archived