The Case for Justin Verlander (Pros / Cons)

wildbillhiccup

It's being reported that the Tigers are once again in active trade discussions on Justin Verlander. If the Orioles are truly going all in then this is the player they need to land. And to borrow a catch phrase from the Oriole’s of yesteryear, “why not” trade for Justin Verlander?

Pros

1)      He’s a better option then any free agent pitchers on the market.

2)      At age 34, there’s a very good chance he can remain productive for three more seasons.

3)      We will have Hardy, Jimenez’s and probably Castillo’s salaries coming off the books after this season. That’s roughly $30M+ in savings.

4)      If we trade Britton in the offseason for prospects, we’ll also save another $11M.

5)      The team is all but set offensively for 2018. Short of a true leadoff hitter / OF I think our starting lineup is in place. Possibly FAs who fit that bill like Melky Cabrera, Camerson Maybin, Carlos Gomez, Curtis Granderson, etc. will not be expensive.

6)      It shows Manny that we’re committed to winning.

7)      Possible Kate Upton sighting at OPACY.

Cons

1)      Giving up prospects.

2)       His salary.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The deal-breaker for me is giving up prospects. The salary is obviously unattractive, but you might be able to talk me into taking the contract (easy to say from my position). Its the part where we presumably have to give up a prospect in exchange for the contract that I am opposed to. Maybe a second tier prospect and they throw in some $? Doubt they'd do it though. 

Just now, 99ct said:

The deal-breaker for me is giving up prospects. The salary is obviously unattractive, but you might be able to talk me into taking the contract (easy to say from my position). Its the part where we presumably have to give up a prospect in exchange for the contract that I am opposed to. Maybe a second tier prospect and they throw in some $? Doubt they'd do it though. 

Completely agree with you, but I have a hunch we wouldn't have to give up much. The Tigers will just be happy to get out of that contracts, since they're already stuck with Miggy's terrible contract. 

It's all about the salary, which is why there's effectively 0 chance of the Orioles acquiring Verlander. The O's are strapped for cash as it is, so any trade would have to involve trading so much salary back to the Tigers and I just don't see how that would happen. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's all about the salary, which is why there's effectively 0 chance of the Orioles acquiring Verlander. The O's are strapped for cash as it is, so any trade would have to involve trading so much salary back to the Tigers and I just don't see how that would happen. 

Says who?

21 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If you take on 80 percent of his salary, we may get him for virtually nothing. Over the next 2 (plus 1 month) years, he makes $53 mil. He is a bonifide ace. Counting this year and potential post season impact, I would say that is a helluva deal and would be a coupe to get this to front Bundy and Gausman.

Based on what we have coming off the books is there any reason why we couldn't take on 80% of his salary? 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Ok, so let's say we take on 80% of his salary and include Ubaldo in the trade. Almost like a NBA trade, where a player is traded simply because his salary will be coming off the books at the end of the season. In the short term that makes taking on his salary and in the long term they have quite a bit of money coming off the books at the end of the season. And potential to save more, if they find a someone willing to take Britton. 

The Orioles are going to spend money on starting pitching in the offseason, so who not make the investment now? 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok, so let's say we take on 80% of his salary and include Ubaldo in the trade. Almost like a NBA trade, where a player is traded simply because his salary will be coming off the books at the end of the season. In the short term that makes taking on his salary and in the long term they have quite a bit of money coming off the books at the end of the season. And potential to save more, if they find a someone willing to take Britton. 

The Orioles are going to spend money on starting pitching in the offseason, so who not make the investment now? 

I agree with the bolded, I just don't see the Orioles operating that way, or being creative/bold enough to make this move. It would absolutely and entirely shock me.

Yeah, so we have spent a pretty good amount of time grabbing DFA type guys from teams that have depth at positions we do not, especially in the Spring.  Its not how you get Mike Trout and its labor intensive, but I think it says more about what DD saw in our top 40-60 players going into the spring than anything else.  We also have outbid ourselves for two DH 1b types in the recent past.  There are signs that point both ways.  I do not think they are strapped for cash at all.  I DO think Mr. Potter, I mean Angelos can be tight with what he allows DD to spend.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

"Spend money" is a very broad description of how the Orioles will do so.

Spend as little as possible on scrap heap pitchers....again...YES.

Spend money on a quality starter in the 20m range. HELL. NO. 

Just now, interloper said:

I agree with the bolded, I just don't see the Orioles operating that way, or being creative/bold enough to make this move. It would absolutely and entirely shock me.

...and I agree with this statement. When we let Duquette go or his contract expires I really hope they focus on bringing young talent into the GM position. We need to be looking for next Theo Epstein not the next Dan Duquette. 

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

"Spend money" is a very broad description of how the Orioles will do so.

Spend as little as possible on scrap heap pitchers....again...YES.

Spend money on a quality starter in the 20m range. HELL. NO. 

Exactly. The O's don't pay that amount of money for starting pitchers, end of story. It's not how they choose to allocate funds, and it's not going to suddenly change today.

Archived