The O's plan to get into the playoffs: "Fingers crossed, you guys!"

interloper

9 hours ago, interloper said:

I mean here are the Angels, the team we're directly competing with for the 2nd WC spot, and they made extremely bold moves to ensure they did everything possible to get into the playoffs.

And then the Orioles... I mean, I'm loathe to give up prospects as much as the next guy, but if you can't find a Top 30 dude you're willing to give up to get what would be a #3 starter in your rotation to help get you over the hump... what the hell are you doing? The plan appears to be "welp, hope we continue to out hit our pitching!" And if you've seen the Orioles in September, you know that won't be the case. August is their hot month, and with the cool weather comes the cool bats.

The lack of a definitive plan is startling, especially from Duquette who will jump at most chances to incrementally improve the roster by trading prospects. Gonzalez would have been more than incremental - he's better than Hellickson and he would replaced one of our 7+ ERA starters. 

To me, it's ridiculous to look at the current WC standings, and see the Angels name right in front of us, knowing they have now essentially added Adam Jones to their team AND a .750 OPS infielder. Meanwhile, we have shrugged and basically said, "fingers crossed!", while calling up a few minor leaguers who will barely play as it is. 

Once again the O's neither sell nor buy - this approach is weak, it's frustrating, and it won't result in much winning now or in the future.

There's plenty of other stuff to comment on in this thread... but I'd like to point out that if you're referring to Justin Upton he's much better than Adam Jones in 2017. It's much more akin to adding Jonathan Schoop.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Don't forget his 5.15ERA in the first half. Or did the first half not count? 

Stretch run is now, not then.  And he went on the DL in July..likely related.  But, fine, stick with Ubaldo and Miley and Hellickson and Tillman...they are obviously much better choices. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Stretch run is now, not then.  And he went on the DL in July..likely related.  But, fine, stick with Ubaldo and Miley and Hellickson and Tillman...they are obviously much better choices. 

Ubaldo had stretch runs. They didn't make him any more talented than what he is.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

Ubaldo had stretch runs. They didn't make him any more talented than what he is.

Fine, you think Miggy wouldn't be an addition worth having to this team.  I do.  We will see how he does down the stretch compared to the guys we run out there. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Fine, you think Miggy wouldn't be an addition worth having to this team.  I do.  We will see how he does down the stretch compared to the guys we run out there. 

I didn't say that either. I said he was a serviceable 4-5 and you disagreed because he had eight good starts in a row. I don't agree that makes him better than a 4-5.

Nothing more. Stop putting words in my mouth.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I didn't say that either. I said he was a serviceable 4-5 and you disagreed because he had eight good starts in a row. I don't agree that makes him better than a 4-5.

Nothing more. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You are right I disagree with your opinion that he is only a serviceable 4 or 5.   He is a three on our staff and a veteran, playoff experienced pitcher...unlike 4 of the 6 so called starters we run out there.  But thanks for playing. 

8 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

The playoff spot is still there to be had, our boys can go get it. These guys just won 7 in a row, in dominating fashion. Toronto is a AAAA team - we will take the next 2. 

One down! That took a few years off of my life, but it was well worth it. 

My problem with Duquette's strategy this year? It's essentially the 2014 offseason, but at the trade deadline.

There was a huge opportunity to do 1 or 2 things:

Plan 1 : Sell (for the future)

• Trade the rentals: Castillo, Smith, Kim
  • Trade the bullpen pieces: Brach, Britton

I'd be living in imagination land by suggesting the O's should have explored trading Trumbo or Davis, but they have unmovable contracts. So that's a no.

Plan 2 : Buy

• Acquire 2 starting pitchers
  • DFA Ubaldo
  • DFA Tillman

The Orioles...well...did neither. They went the half in/half out route. They traded Kim and others to get Jeremy Hellickson (he of a 90 ERA+ and 5.48 FIP with the Phillies). And kept Ubaldo in the rotation. They traded a young/promising hurler in the minors for Beckham. And while I think the Beckham acquisition was a fine move for the future....the two moves just seem at odds with one another.

And here's the thing. Yes, they sort of went for it before the non-waiver trade deadline. But then they had an opportunity to take an extra step (which now is more warrantable than back on July 31st, FWIW) since they're in the thick of things and already dipped their feet in....and they did nothing.

Zero. Nothing.

Instead the plan is seriously "Well I hope the offense outperforms the near historically awful starting pitching". Guess what? Tillman is still in the rotation. Ubaldo is still in the rotation. And Hellickson has pitched like Hell...ick, son.

Archived