Bigdomke1

bigdomke1

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Something has happened to him. I wonder what's gone wrong with him? 

I think it may be an injury that has slowed his bat down or slightly changed his bat path (which was always absurdly loopy anyway) and what we're seeing is that when your swing is that long you have absolutely no margin for error.  The mental struggles have come in because I'm imagining he's working endlessly to solve the problem, and instead of letting it rip when he's up there, he's thinking about swing mechanics, and keeping the hands still etc...

Maybe I'm entirely wrong, but his complete offensive collapse is very puzzling for me, and as a fan I can't help but try to justify it in some way.  Also, I like the guy, and I think he's great in the clubhouse.  He also plays a gold glove caliber first base. 

Just not a major league hitter right now.  I do think (read:hope) he'll bounce back at some point during the duration of his contract though.  For at least a half season of sustained mashing.  Still the worst contract in all of major league baseball right now.  And as a human being, that also has to be weighing on him heavily.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe his ADHD medication is not working as well. Maybe signing the big contract gave him anxiety disorder. Players have had some issues with it. Grienke, Osuna and some who could never cope.

I'm sure there's a great deal of performance anxiety going on right now.  This winter will be a winter of soul searching for Mr. Davis I think.

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

I think it may be an injury that has slowed his bat down or slightly changed his bat path (which was always absurdly loopy anyway) and what we're seeing is that when your swing is that long you have absolutely no margin for error.  The mental struggles have come in because I'm imagining he's working endlessly to solve the problem, and instead of letting it rip when he's up there, he's thinking about swing mechanics, and keeping the hands still etc...

Maybe I'm entirely wrong, but his complete offensive collapse is very puzzling for me, and as a fan I can't help but try to justify it in some way.  Also, I like the guy, and I think he's great in the clubhouse.  He also plays a gold glove caliber first base. 

Just not a major league hitter right now.  I do think (read:hope) he'll bounce back at some point during the duration of his contract though.  For at least a half season of sustained mashing.  Still the worst contract in all of major league baseball right now.  And as a human being, that also has to be weighing on him heavily.

I like him too. But his contract is really terrible. I do hope he can come back and help the team next season or two. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think we need to remember that, for all his struggles, Davis has a .744 OPS for the season.    That's awful for a guy making $23 mm/yr, and very subpar for a 1B, but it's not minor league material.   There are several 1B in the league who are worse.     It's the salary and the optics of the called strikeouts that make it seem worse than it is.

And the fact that his signing forced us to convert an excellent young first baseman to an outfielder (thank goodness he has been up to the task defensively), and the subsequent signing of Trumbo locked up 1B/DH for several years, so we may now have a glut of young outfielders and we had to let go of a kid who led the PCL in OPS this year.

8 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

In the world of swapping bad contracts, I would be all over Zimmerman this offseason.

Oh yeah.   As bad as he has been this year, we could pencil him in as #5 starter and be improved at that spot.   And we'd be able to move Mancini back to first and would have room for young guys like Santander, Hays, and Mullins to take their shot at outfield spots.

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And the fact that his signing forced us to convert an excellent young first baseman to an outfielder (thank goodness he has been up to the task defensively), and the subsequent signing of Trumbo locked up 1B/DH for several years, so we may now have a glut of young outfielders and we had to let go of a kid who led the PCL in OPS this year.

Maybe I'll eat these words some day, but I'm not losing sleep over Christian Walker.    The Mancini part, sure.   

I don't think there is anyway that the Tigers would trade Davis for Zimmerman.  

While Davis is owed $127MM for the next 5 years, Zimmerman is owed $74MM for the next 3 years.

Given that Miguel Cabrera is playing 1b and under contract for 5 more years at a hefty $152MM price tag  and Victor Martinez is under contract as their DH next year for $18MM, I don't see any possible way that he is a fit in Detroit

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I'll eat these words some day, but I'm not losing sleep over Christian Walker.    The Mancini part, sure.   

I wouldn't lose sleep either, but the fact that he did what he did, even in a slightly more "hitter friendly" environment/league does make me, and maybe others, wonder what would have happened if Davis and Trumbo weren't resigned and the Orioles gave Mancini and Walker everyday playing time at Camden.

Archived