Assuming we trade Manny, who's our target for 3B?

Frobby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I'm saying, hypothetically, we offered Manny 5yr/90 million after 2015 and Manny wanted $5/100.

That contract would put him under contract thru 2020. Although the number is only $10 million apart, you'd also have a difference in $30 million between the proposed contract salary and what Manny ended up getting in arbitration, and he's only guaranteed to be around for an extra 2 years past team control.

Thats why the $8/9 million difference can be deceiving.

Those 2 years are very valuable. 

I don't care about what he got in arbitration. I care that the owner can't grasp how to properly operate a franchise. 

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Those 2 years are very valuable. 

I don't care about what he got in arbitration. I care that the owner can't grasp how to properly operate a franchise. 

You have no clue what the offers were and when and of course the arbitration numbers matter if the club is paying significantly over that for a good chunk of the contract.

2 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Correct.  And since that's not likely through FA and highly unlikely through this year's draft, then it must take place in a trade.  And who were the top two 3B-needy teams leading into the most recent trade deadline?  Boston and NYY, both able to absorb his contract demands.  The Yanks have the better 3B prospect and one that's ready to play in Miguel Andujar.  And for those who would be upset to see Manny in pinstripes, it could likely happen anyway if Machado were to walk into FA. 

Angelos will never sign off on trading Manny to the Yankees. Never. 

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

But he'd be perfectly fine letting him go there in FA? Dumb, but I'm not disagreeing with you.

Sadly I think he would. He'd rather spite the Yankees even if it means hurting the franchise. I doubt he'd trade him to the Red Sox either. So you probably need to look at the teams with deep pockets like the Dodgers, Cubs, Angels, etc...

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Sadly I think he would. He'd rather spite the Yankees even if it means hurting the franchise. I doubt he'd trade him to the Red Sox either. So you probably need to look at the teams with deep pockets like the Dodgers, Cubs, Angels, etc...

Don't forget the Nationals.

21 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Boston has Devers, Yankees Andujar, Dodgers Turner; Manny may find the market smaller than he expects.  Who else will pay $30 mil per year for ten years?

I don't think you can rule these teams out. Manny can possibly play SS and Turner, Bogaerts, etc. can all be traded to make room. I'd add the Cubs and Angels (as a sleeper) as potential landing spots for him. 

3 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Orioles have "no intention" of shopping Manny Machado.

But it also seems highly doubtful that the O's will be able to lock up the 25-year-old third baseman to a contract extension with free agency looming after the 2018 season. Heyman hears club ownership was "within $8 million or $9 million" of making it happen a few years back. Machado has been on fire in the second half of 2017 and is up to 32 home runs and 92 RBI through 147 total games this year. He's also played his usual brand of excellent defense.
Source: FanRag Sports
Sep 21 - 12:20 PM

They have no intention of even shopping him, and it's highly doubtful that they'll sign him. 

Sorry, but I just don't see how a team in the O's situation can justify intentionally putting themselves in this situation.  

It's a very different situation with the Nats and Harper.  Their talent is top 3 in the majors, and they have Eaton coming back as well as the top OF prospect in baseball - and their 2nd best prospect is a RFer.  They can afford to end up losing Harper for a pick.  The O's can't.  Not even close.  Some of us will be sick watching Machado next year knowing he's a lame duck.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

They have no intention of even shopping him, and it's highly doubtful that they'll sign him. 

Sorry, but I just don't see how a team in the O's situation can justify intentionally putting themselves in this situation.  

It's a very different situation with the Nats and Harper.  Their talent is top 3 in the majors, and they have Eaton coming back as well as the top OF prospect in baseball - and their 2nd best prospect is a RFer.  They can afford to end up losing Harper for a pick.  The O's can't.  Not even close.  Some of us will be sick watching Machado next year knowing he's a lame duck.  

The Nationals are also in a lot better situation to win a ring with Harper next year (or this year, or two).

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

You can do a lot of stuff with $127 million extra bucks in your pocket, one of which is make a serious run at Manny in free agency.

They're not making a run at Manny and they're not spending that on SP which we need. Better trade Manny for some SP.

Archived